He stares at me often and has a long-term girlfriend?

So this story between me and this guy is sort of confusing. We started talking about 2 years ago, we flirted a lot and it took us too long to realize that we both liked each other. After we both stopped talking to each other (after a year of flirting that was exhausting) he got a girlfriend and has been dating her for 9 months. I have no problem with the relationship at all, I am kind of glad he's dating cause he was really confusing when we were flirting and it kinda made me feel horrible sometimes. Recently I saw him again and he was with his girlfriend, I was trying to not look over but, the one time I did I caught him staring at me and when I caught him it took him a while to look away. I've seen him 4 times since then and everytime the same thing happens? The most recent time I saw him, his girlfriend left and he talked to me but I cut the conversation short because he was flirting again.

I'm not planning at all to try and take him away from his girlfriend, I don't even think I want to date him anymore. What I want to know is why is he staring at me all the time and why is he talking to me again?

01