Can someone analyze the tone of this text message between this guy and I?

So it’s between this guy I like who asked for my number a couple of months ago and we flirted and exchanged a couple of flirty texts a while ago. Things got a bit hot and cold for a while and we didn’t text for a while but I was still seeing him at the gym. Suddenly he wasn’t showing up at the gym for like 10 days which is so unlike him. So I decided to text him this

“hey haven’t seen you in a while... you good?”

He responded saying:

“Hey! Thanks for asking! No I’m all good I was just away for a business trip”

But I never responded cause I didn’t know what to say but I saw him the following day and it all went well.

Was he being dry with me?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• Maybe a little but you also didn't follow up with any follow up questions about his trip etc so if he was a little busy I'm not surprised he got side tracked.

I wouldn't read too much into it but I would push a little more if you want him to notice.

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't even read the rest after seeing your headline. You girls cannot seem to understand that you cannot define or analyze the tone of a TEXT conversation. There are too many variables to do this. Interpersonal communication is 80% nonverbal and 20% verbal... this is fact, not opinion. Let those numbers sink in and use as guidance.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure what you mean by being dry with you.
    Sounds like things have hit a plateau between the two of you. You're in a friendzone without any clarity as to what you want. If you want more from him you need to talk to him.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Why doesn’t he talk to me? Why won’t he ever make a move?

• 6d

If he was away for 10 days he may not have been able too.
      You said this has been ongoing over a few months, seems like it's list that early momentum. Without knowing the two of you or the messages sent earlier on it's difficult to say for sure, he maybe nervous or may have got a wrong vibe. I dont think it will chabge unless you take the bull by the horns and start a proper conversation woth him about what you or he wants

• If there is interest, you should have moved beyond texting long ago. People get bored with just or mostly texting after awhile. especially guys. Could be that or the business trip. Why don't you try to move things along a bit?

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmmmmmm. It sounds pretty platonic and dry, yeah. Though, the exclamation marks show excitement, but that might just be overcompensation to hide that he isn't excited.

Really don't know. :/ You'll have to guage his behavior in person. Text is really difficult to know the tone of the person speaking. That's why so many arguments are easy to start online, because people don't know if you're joking or if you're being serious or *what* the hell you're feeling, because text, in itself, is usually dry without the body language and facial expressions to add deeper meaning to the words.

They say 70% of human communication is through body language. And only like 10% is what you actually say, or something.

So, tough question. Really no way to know.

If it went well, I'd focus on that and just don't make any assumptions based on text.

0|0
    0|0
  • Perhaps he was distracted with other matters at the time you texted him. Your generation places far too much reliance on texting and interpreting how someone responds to texts. If you really want to know what is going on with someone, call him and have a real conversation.

He's probably over there thinking that you aren't too interested in him because you never responded to his last text? Of course, that isn't correct, but he has reached the wrong conclusion because. . . your generation places far too much reliance on texting and interpreting how someone responds to texts.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

What’s something sweet that I could’ve said without coming on too strong?

• Show All
    • 4d

I go up to him the next day telling him that I’m not upset about the other day, so he says “it won’t break the bridge” then I said look whatever shit you heard, you should hear my side of the story so he goes like “I don’t listen to shit anyone says”. Then he asked if I was done with my workout like he used to always (we used to walk out together)

• 3d

It sounds like he is just playing games with you. If you want to take charge of this situation, just approach him and say, "I like you and I think you like me. If you want to go out with me, ask me out now. Otherwise, I'll go look for a guy who doesn't play games."

• You sound cautious and analytical. Seems like you're reading a bit too much into it.
    He sounds like he was just responding to your text.

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

I just invited you to answer a question.. can you please help me out?

• Not sure maybe he was really in a business trip

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• I see absolutely nothing wrong with these text messages. Hmm, maybe it's just me.

1|0
    0|0
  • Men are typically straightforward about how they feel. I think the tone was appropriate for your scenario. You are friends and he was just assuring you that he’s all good. He also said thanks for asking, to be courteous. And his exclamation points emphasize his enthusiasm and happiness in you asking about him.
    It doesn’t seem dry at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seems neutral to me :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes