Do guys use "sweetheart" as a form of endearment or as a way to undermine women?

I got a little jealous after my boyfriend started praising my friend a lot but ignored it. He kept doing it until I finally communicated it to him. He was surprised and asked how I had come to that conclusion. After I texted him 3 long paragraphs about what he was doing and how it made me feel, he texted "sweetheart". He only rarely uses forms of endearment so it confused and distracted me from my argument. He had to work but he said we'd finish talking about it later and that he wasn't trying to ignore the issue. I saw him saying sweetheart as a form of affection, but my sister said it sounded like he undermined every thing I had brought up. Which does it sound like?
  • I use it as a form of endearment // sounds like he was being affectionate
  • I use it as a form of endearment // doesn't soind like he was bring affectionate
  • I'm usually mocking, being sarcastic, or undermining // sounds like he was being affectionate
    Vote C
  • I'm usually mocking, being sarcastic, or undermining // doesn't sound like he was being affectionate
    Vote D

1841

Most Helpful Guys

• Ask him.
    Stop asking her opinion and tell your sister to seek professional help.
    This isn't a gendered issue. Both men and women use the term honestly, ironically and condescendingly. Jumping to any conclusion without his word on the matter is ignorant and compulsive. Have a conversation with the man you're supposed to love, and work it out together. Leave your sister out of it, and everything regarding your relationship until she demonstrates remarkable improvement in terms of relationship understanding and commitment.

• It's always both at the same time. Here is why:

1. If you do something sweet we go "aww" inside and want to call you sweetheart.

2. When you act like a silly little jealous girl we go "aww" and want to call you sweetheart. Your concern isn't a real thing, you are being jealous, tbh its good you made him aware of it and I am sure he cares but when he is just complimenting your friend (I presume not "nice ass" but something more like "congrats on winning the art competition") that is really your problem.

Most Helpful Girls

• In the South many people use it in an insulting way to disregard what the other person is saying 😆

I’ve been in this situation where a friend kept calling me sweetheart every time I said something they disagreed with.

For example, I said to my friend, “Hey dude, when you said that I shouldn’t care about my family member trying to commit suicide that kind of made me uncomfortable” and his reply was a big annoyed sigh “Sweetheart...”. Another instance he would do this is if I mispronounced a word he was would say “Oh sweetheart” to make me feel ashamed and embarrassed in front of other friends.

So it all depends on your boyfriend’s tone, how it’s used and where the individual is from.

• More than likely, he meant it as a form of endearment. He said it in order ro calm you down and appease you. Why would he exacerbate the situation by undermining you? I can already tell that the two of you fight and create problems in your own relationship over pointless things. Your sister is biased is will obviously always take your side on things and just tell you what you wish to hear. Honestly, if someone was using these terms as an insult... you would know. There would be no question about it.