I told him I have trust issues, and he said this. Does anyone else find it odd?

So, yesterday this guy and I were texting. We’re both college freshmen. I’m pretty sure he likes me bc he wants to hang out all the time, he finds excuses to be near me all of the sudden or to touch me, and we text every day. He even tells me that he looks back over our texts sometimes and he says he feels silly for saying certain things! 😂

Anyway, I was telling him about how I felt like a failure for bombing my physics exam. He replied that it doesn’t seem like I’m doing as bad as other people he knows.

So I said, “Well, I don’t tell you a lot of things. 😂 It’s hard for me to trust people.”

He responsed, “Yeah I understand that, we’ll get there, and like I say don’t sell yourself short.”

I was so caught off guard with the “we’ll get there,” as if he’s working towards breaking down my barriers and stuff. I’ve never had anyone be as patient or understanding about something like that. What does it mean?
1
1