Can a man ever just want a friendship from a woman?

I have a best friend who's a man, his name is Mitchell (mitch for short and bitchell if he pisses me off😂) we met at work a year ago and reilsed we both had a lot of common interests, we both like the same music and travelling a lot.

Quickly me and him became good friends and we'd make flirty harmless banter with each other, people joked he liked me but Mitch flirts with every one that's just who he is and puls he has a a long term girlfriend but they constantly brake up and fight.

He gives me lifts home and go pub together sometimes but it's never ever felt romantic between us that's just feels weird even thinking of him in that way, it be like kissing a brother. He even said to me at a party but he's only messing with me when he flirts but everyone else's say he really fancys me and he is very touchy feely with me but I just can't see use ever being together or imagine him feeling that way about me.

We kinda have a when Harry met Sally relationship but I just don't see him in a romantic way nor do I want to.
Updates:
We even look like Harry and Sally together 😂 but that never happing with us

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• You get a lot more out of this “friendship” than he does. It sounds like deep down he really likes you but he’s trying to keep things light and funny hoping you would like that. You like that but you are clearly not interested.

You get:

- strong male around so you feel safe
    - male attention (which you love)
    - someone you can use to make other guys you really like jealous.
    - someone to help with guy related problems.
    - occasionally free meals and drinks.
    - someone to call when you are stuck somewhere
    - a shoulder to cry on if you have problems.

What he gets:

- sexual frustration
    - a damage reputation of being a beta who gets friendzoned
    - depression that you are not attracted to him
    - self hatred that he doesn’t have the guts to see the truth you are not into him
    - bad advice and misinformation about dating. Girls might mean well but they usually give advice on what they SAY they want vs. what they REALLY want. However older women can help guys though.
    - a thinner wallet. He likely spends more money on you on social events than vice versa.
    - inconvenience. He is more likely to got out of his way for you than vice versa
    - a bad memory of being a chump by being too nice to you.

0|3
    1|0
    • By the way no straight man and I do mean no warm blooded hetero male EVER refers to another female as his “best friend”. Really how fucking often do you hear guys saying that?

• He already has a girlfriend and yes he called me his best friend

• My apologies, I misread that. I thought he said he was no longer with her.

I’ve seen plenty of women exploit single, lonely vulnerable guys with the friendzone. It’s a hot button for me as you can tell. If he is getting laid steadily then maybe he is genuine.

• A guy who is in a relationship already and getting his romantic and sexual needs fulfilled can be "just friends" with women. Single men generally cannot, because if a man's top priorities aren't being met (sex, and companionship), then nothing else will matter until they are.

1|0
    0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• That guy seems like a dick. Now I understand why his girlfriend keeps fighting , because he probably is a whore man and likes to have sex and flirt with multiple people.

0|0
    0|0
    • No they brake up a lot because he takes her out for dinner and expensive holidays and he says she's ungrateful about it and would rather sit at home watching TV all day

• Then he should leave her asap.

• I know but it's not my place to get involved and it will only make matters worse

• it's worked for me because it's a long distance friendship built so there is no room for physical tension. Besides that friendship, I don't do well with men as friends-they have all asked for sex eventually or start disrespecting me (getting touchy feely).
    I would like male friends to hang out with in person because it would be something different. Maybe I'm just not the type of girl who can have male friends (like I only attract guys who secretly want more)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 85

• Yes, I'd love having female friends, I actually prefer them to male friends, mostly because all guys want to do is get drunk or high, talk about sports, cars, girls, guns and their sex history.
    Okay, I don't mind talking about girls, but the rest is utterly boring to me and mostly pointless!

1|0
    0|0
  • You can be friends with the opposite sex. but we're all just human beings and the longer you spend with someone the closer you get and the higher potential there is for romatic feelings to develop.

im not saying it will happen. but its definitely a possibility that he likes you. maybe he is just worried that saying he is attracted to you will scare you off, and he would rather have you as a Friend than lose you if he admits his feelings and scares you away.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes it is possible and happens often. But it tends to work better when the guy is not so attracted to the girl. So if she is overweight and less attractive then it is easier to be friends with her. On the other hand if she is hot then the guy is going to want more than just a friendship with her.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's possible.
    Like if he's scared of commitment or he's self conscious about his body or you're just not his type.
    I'm friends with a woman because she's already married.
    We are true friends because that's all it can ever be.

0|0
    0|0
  • No man can be just friends with a girl. A college, I think it was Stanford, proved that if given the opportunity (both single, had 1 beer etc) every single man would have sex with his female friends.

0|1
    0|0
    • I agree... unless she looks like a bag of shit.. but then again if beer involved her might still fuck her.. damn you are right again lol

• The answer to your question is 'NO'. Guys are sexually driven.
    He's secretly in love with you. That's the way it always is - one or the other will always want more.
    Girls are more likely to remain in this mis-matches cuz they're not as sexually driven as guys. But it happens to them as well - proven out here all the time on GAG.

0|0
    0|0
  • A man can be friends with a woman if he's not into her. the two of you seem to have crossed the line already and started flirting so that's the beginning of you to developing something more. So I don't think the to of you can keep it strictly platonic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes most my friends are girls and they have all even been around me in their underwear when I was single. Yeah sometimes we used to check each other out and maybe flirt but we've never kissed or had sex nor do we want too.

As soon as either one of them or I get into a relationship we stop the inopropiate stuff and just help each other's relationships in a positive way. Just because you're opposite genders doesn't mean you guys gotta like watch other

0|0
    0|0
  • Well there was a time where I did try to become friends with this girl that I thought was kinda cute.

She said she had a boyfriend, but I still wanted to be friends with her so maybe she could hook me up with some of her friends.

Not sure what happened maybe she thought I still had the hots for her. But we stopped talking and she declined all the times I invited her to hang out.

So.. yeah I'd say even if a guy is genuine about being friends, the girl might not have the same idea.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's good you two are best friends. I do think there is point where
    flirting can turn into something more than friendship. My issue it
    always happens that i start getting serious feelings for a girl than
    it becomes a major crush than boom. I start having major issues
    i always want be with her and stuff. etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 18

• Yes to me all of my male friends are not my fucking partners, and all of my fucking partners are not my friends, some of them are just known to me but not friends, or even sometimes the sex partner is unknowm

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, just as women friend zone, guys can too. Prob just happens less because it's too much effort on their part so they just don't bother.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd like to think so because I have male friends that show zero interest - but they also tend to have stuff going on with other girls.
    But yeah, probably.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well there are gay men and asexual men. Straight men too sometimes. At the same time though even straight they may not be attracted to you in that way.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't believe men and women can truly be Platonic no. Someone gets feelings. It's human nature.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes. If he realizes that's all he's going to get - take it or leave it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I ain't read nothing but to me, boys can but that's just my opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • I suppose it can happen but one of the people will most likely develop feelings for the other one.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's cool. U r just friends, it sounds like.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|1
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes