Was this a dumb thing to say to a guy?

I've become good friends with this guy. When we're talking face to face at some point, he asks what I'm thinking. I'm in love with him and with my current situation, it's not a good time to date. So I'm not exactly sure how to answer the question, but it really frustrates him. I usually tell him it's inappropriate to share. What the hell else am I supposed to say? Isn't answering honestly a bad idea?
3d
After considering the answers given i have another approach. What if I asked what exactly he was looking for if anything? Isn’t that just opening a dialogue without hanging myself?

28