Is male-female bantering always about building attraction or it can be platonic?

And what is the difference? There is this guy friend that always banter with me (in person and through texting), but any other guy from that group of friends isn't talking to me that way. Those banterings are sometimes openly sex related and sometimes just innuendos. But I see them all as ambiguous. Can those kind of bantering be considered as only friendly or it's always sign of wanting more (hooking up, friends with benefits or even real attraction).
He is more considerate not to cross the line of where I feel safe when interacting with me, cause I've seen him doing it with other women on the bordline of offence (for my taste). He is crude only when women are too pushy.

02