Do men get more competitive with other men when there’s a female present?

I thought this only happened between females. They usually compare each other and are passive aggressive and competitive when there’s a male present
  • Males are more competitive with each other
    Vote A
  • Females are more competitive with each other
    Vote B
  • Equally
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes, perhaps in many situations. It be a involuntary/primal thing, where the men don’t consciously know that they’re trying to look better or show that they’re superior in some way to the other men, when an attractive or desirable woman is present. It might be small stuff like making jokes or teasing other men, showing, in some way that they’re superior, or body language like trying to posture in certain respects to show off better aspects of their body or make themselves bigger. I don’t know if this is a super common thing, but it does happen for sure in many situations and what I’ve labeled out above are some of the things men will demonstrate but not all

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep definitely true. And if you're the one talking to her, the other guy will try to bust his way into the conversation to try to be the dominant voice. I usually solve this by ignoring him and trying to keep the girl focused on me. And other times if need be I will give the guy a look just as he heads our way to let him know "You better not even try it."

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• What bothers me is when guys insult one another playfully to get a girl attention.

It’s happened to me, when a group of guys and I are talking enjoying ourselves. Some guy has to point out another guy embarrassing moments or dark secret just to lower him to win my affection. Which really, makes me uncomfortable and I feel bad for the other guy who did nothing wrong but have a conversation with me.

1|3
    0|0
  • Where I live bitches will throw down if u accidentally look at her man. lmfao Also, guys around here will fight their best friends bc they talk shit about fucking each others gf's.

Everybody is potentially all equally as fucked up as they allow themselves to be.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Some do, yes, but most men have a pretty healthy relationship with competition, because it's a big part of our lives, and we compete with sportsmanship - most of us don't "play dirty."

Whereas women are incredibly vicious with each other, and are more focused on tearing the other girl down than elevating her own game. It's a very different type of competition.

1|0
    0|0
  • Fourth option-- guys get more competitive with other guys when there's an *attractive* female around. If she's homely or unattractive, we don't really care.

2|1
    0|0
  • 1) Men definitely get competitive around women. I hate it, it totally kills the mood, my buddies switch to backstabbing shitheads in an instant.

2) I don't know who is MORE competitive in these situations. I think if it is a really good looking guy, or in general really attractive for some reason, women can be far more competitive and evil. But most women don't care about guys below 8/10, so that's not a common thing to happen.

1|1
    0|0
    • Definitely agree on male friends turning into backstabbers when there's a girl involved. I flat out ditch them at that point cba with that behaviour.

I'd say it's about equal in terms of this behaviour between the sexes, had girls badmouth their friends to me to put me off them and heard about girls talking shit about me then later try it on with me.

• Most guys turn into dicks when there’s a female present

And unfortunately if there’s a girl that either you or your friend like there will be drama

1|1
    0|0
    • That’s so illogical. Turning into dicks won’t help them at all. Lmfao

• Hell yes. I work in a all male work environment and when I first started it was like a competition to show who's the most strong and manliness. When ever I needed help they practically race each other to see who could get to me first. Now I've been their a while now it's not so bad but they still definitely a compete to who's top dog.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think men place more of their ego in relation to getting women. So there's a matching up with each other and trying to out do each other. Women can be catty, but I think often guys can be more egotistical about their prowess and pride with attracting women. So it would be more of an ego bruise if a guy they think they are more attractive than, gets the girl they want or competing for.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. It often depends on how well acquainted with each other the men are. The more familiar they are with each other the more likely they are to have worked out the pecking order. In such cases lower ranking males will actually help higher ranking males. But when the situation is uncertain regarding who has the right of way, direct and indirect competition can spike to embarrassing levels.

0|0
    0|0
  • Doesn't depend who this male is?
    Honestly, im not sure if it matters if a female is present or vice versa, however, in a group there usually is always someone who others realize is on another level and there is acceptance yet a great deal of resistance to said person because of the human ego.

1|0
    0|0
  • Number #1 argument for why women in the military aren't the best idea. Let introduce a stressful environment full of dudes away from girlfriends. Now let's add some women into the scenario. And hope there isn't going to be trouble.

Sorry reality, Star Trek has this one wrong.

Just my opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that gender isn’t really a factor here. Any person, regardless of their gender or if the gender of the person who gave the gift, can feel jealousy when they have competition. They are probably worried that their boy/girl friend will like the other person because they have them a present.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is always tension and competition between males that are not friends. One thing that I observed is that women can't pick even half the aggressive cues that happen in male to male interaction. They are so surprised when shit hits the fan and two guys start punching each other even though the guys started on that path 10 minutes ago.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think it’s more the female acting clueless rather than genuinely being unaware of it. I notice the tension pretty easily

• That is a definite possibility but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

• oh yea def it often comes down to a bro down like this! :3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoudYNeVn5E

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know cos I never tried flirting with a crush I liked, but I would imagine there wouldn't be any competition at all cos no guys were trying with her / talking to her... I would be the only one if I tried

0|0
    0|0
  • Not always and not all men. However two men bidding for the shared
    attention of a woman they both might fancy, then yes.

I believe wholeheartedly, a man’s ego is his greatest weakness,
    it blinds his eyes and thoughts to reason.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men tend to show it more, women tend to just think “Fucking bitch putting her hands near my man,” whereas I’ve noticed guys being more passive aggressive to each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Males do want to keep their natural reputation around attractive females so naturally when we fight we tend to get much more aggressive if a girl we like is there, and if it's not a fight but it's a "fight" over the girl then we do get a little competitive (depends on the person).
    But we don't just act stupid around any girl or in every situation...

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if the female is of interest to the men, if not i dont think so in fact they may act less competitive if they are smart. For example if i was interested on a girl 100% would make it sure im the one she is must suprised or interested but if not i wouldn't care

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say both may compete at the same rate.
    But I'm not that wild. I'm more "diplomatic" and civilized than that.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’d say females wayyy more. I’ve had girls fight over me pulling hair n shit and I’ve never ever fought over a girl. But it does happy especially with the sexually frustrated dudes who probably never seen a pair of titties.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the parties involved. The generalization you're trying to make is false.
    And yes, women are way more competitive when it comes to men and dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's more subtle with women, since their game is just "be pretty and be in the guys field of vision"

0|0
    0|0
  • Some do some don't... Usualy if you're comfortable in your own skin, other guys don't faze you. If you think you have something to prove then maybe.

0|0
    0|0
  • they get more competetive, when it's about getting a girls attention but men are competetive on their own. it's mostly not serious though, unless it's about career.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends. Put 10 women in with 2 guys and vice versa.

0|1
    0|0
  • I see it everyday even in college. If I'm around certain people when a girl comes near they start the whole "shut up bitch", "I whooped your ass" so I dropped them. Only got like 2 friends now.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say they're about equal in terms of males and females. Of course, I think there's nothing wrong with a little healthy competition.

0|0
    0|0
  • girls can be like this too, just as guys, so equally, just think about it

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course they do especially if they're single and they're good looking and they're giving away HuHot

0|1
    0|0
  • All the men I see ALWAYS show off in school. Always. The only reason why they do anything is to show off to girls. Honestly.

0|1
    0|0
  • not really
    most men do not like the idea of fighting over a girl
    few guys will do it

1|0
    0|0
  • Men are just constantly in competition with each other

0|1
    0|0
  • Men who become competitive when there's a female present are insecure. Having said that some of us are competitive af either way, ik i am

0|0
    0|0
  • In my experience, I notice guys puff up more when other guys are present. It's a natural instinct.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah I have seen both sexes compete for a man or women

0|0
    0|0
  • I think men relize who the alpha is right away its only if two or more alphas are around each that there is a problem other not sure about girls

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so they get it from nature lions fight over right to breed.

0|0
    1|0
  • Yes. But I have seen women get competitive with each other as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean competitive sure but if we are competing for the same girl I am not a dick to him

0|0
    0|0
  • Not unless they have more in common with monkies in the zoo

0|0
    0|1
  • yes... very much so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ugh I hope not

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure. I don’t think it’s absolutely untrue