Why do SOME men sexually harass women in the forms of: cat calling and sexual leering?

Out on the streets for a woman, it’s possible for any stranger man to pass by you and make a creepy remark, or just plain stare at you like you’re a piece of meat or some object. It’s not a compliment, as women have POPULARIZED these acts as sexual harassment and bothersome. I feel like these men don’t care about what she looks like, they don’t want to compliment her, they want to make her feel unsafe and gross inside. They want to harm her. Leering at someone inappropriately is creepy and invasive. What do you think? Why do SOME men sexually harass women in the forms of: cat calling and sexual leering?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• People on here are crazy ASF lol.

Anyhow, cat calling doesn't really bother me I just think they're idiot's because any girl with sense isn't gonna want to talk to a guy that's catcalling her. I never once have been cat called and thought about giving the guys who did it the time of day.

And looks/leering doesn't bother me either. They aren't doing anything to me it's just awkward. So I can live with it. I can't help that. The only time I actually feel unsafe is when guys have actually grabbed me or sexually assaulted me. If you stay away from me do as you please but don't touch me and I'm fine.

0|1
    0|0
    • At the end of the day I feel like there is some stuff that just can't be helped. Cat calling and leering are just something some guys do. You can't change every single one of them and you don't have to teach them better. That's was their parents job and now their old enough to make choices for themselves.

If they choose to cat call and leering ignore it and move on.

Most Helpful Guys

• For the same reason some women do it.

It's generally the trash humans.
    You never see someone in a suit cat call, it's always the trash of society.
    It isn't a gender thing, it's a class thing.

But to put another perspective on it, women (14-40) generally dress in as little clothing as possible to try and get as much sexual attention as possible, but then want to pick and choose who it comes from. That's one of the most entitled narcissistic child mindset there is.

Why do SOME men sexually harass women in the forms of: cat calling and sexual leering?Why do SOME men sexually harass women in the forms of: cat calling and sexual leering?

Female who dress like this are attention whores and have no place or right to complain when they get that attention.

0|1
    0|1
  • Well, realistically there are two options.

1. Catcall.
    2. Be passive and reserved.

The latter conceal their desires and scheme. Most women find that worse.

You might say there is a third option, some kind of nuetral option, but that's really only authentic if the guy does not inmediately find you sexually attractive.

I mean, to avoid the manipulative nice guy phenomena men have to express their emotions with honesty.

Bigger issue is the fact that they honestly want to cat call you. That's a deeper question involving social programming and gender stereotype threat.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• If you don't like it, stop dressing like you want it! This stuff's been going on for HUNDREDS of years and women STILL haven't figured it out yet that if they dress in revealing clothes, they're GOING to get reactions like this!!
    Now, HOW MANY times has a guy that says these kinds of things ACTUALLY made physical contact with you and TRIED to take sexual advantage of you? Chances are, it's slim to none!! And, if he does, and won't take "no" or "leave me the fuck alone!" for an answer, just give him a swift kick in the balls and he'll leave you alone. Really, all they're doing is telling you, in their own semi-backward way, that you're attractive!! Is THAT so horribly bad? Would you rather NOT get reactions like that? I'm willing to bet that if you NEVER had a guy do that, you'd start thinking you're fat, ugly, smelly or a bad dresser and wonder what's wrong with you that guys don't pay attention to you anymore!!
    My ex-fiancé didn't like getting that kind of attention from guys so, she always wore very baggy tops and no bra and, even though she had large C's or even small D's, you couldn't even tell she HAD tits!! And, even though she was ALWAYS playing that down, she STILL got a lot of attention from guys!!
    Enjoy it while you're getting it! In 30 years, you'll probably BE fat, old and ugly and guys won't want to look at you anymore! When you go to a flower shop, which flowers are you most likely to look at or buy? The ones that look pretty, right? Well, consider yourself a flower and guys are interested in looking at YOU BECAUSE you're a pretty flower and NOT because you're an old weed!

0|0
    6|1
  • This is stupid as fuck.
    Of cat calling makes you feel unsafe, you're a fucking moron.
    If someone looking at you makes you feel unsafe, you should kill yourself.
    Grow the fuck up.
    I'm going to cat call and leer today just to spite this post.

0|0
    5|1
    • I think you should consider that there are people who don't like being looked at, not only women.
      I have almost only female coworkers and they made me very uncomfortable the first days with their stares and jokes, it's not a pleasant.

• Show All
    • Who hurt you?

• If you're talking to me, no one. Life is actually going really well. I've had my fair share if sexual harassment and I didn't act like a weakling about it.

• Cat calls are done by immature groups of guys to get some shits and giggles between each other. You can be dressed as a slobe for all they care. Grow some balls and don't mind them. Or catch them by surprise and say something inappropriate to them as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • It’s not flirting, for all those people saying it is. And it has nothing to do with how a woman dresses, it can happen to anyone. I dream of a day I can walk around at night or in the day in a city or country without having to feel unsafe or self conscious.

0|0
    0|1
  • Because they are idiots and don't know education, I don't even look a strangers in the middle of the street, let alone catcall them, whatever it is.

2|0
    0|1
    • I understand how it can be uncomfortable, I too am uncomfortable when people look at me.
      Like the fact that they have eyes gives them the right to look at me and follow every my move.

• Cue dislike from one of those macho testosterone-filled harassers..

• Okaaay.. first up. No, they don't want to make her feel unsafe, chances are, they see a girl they think looks good and call out hoping that she'd notice them.
    You're delving too deeply into the wrong area.. a lot of people don't have ulterior motives that are not obvious.

0|0
    0|0
  • Leering? Seriously? I get cat calling but if you can't handle a guy looking at you then you need a confidence boost quick. Unless you feel in danger then keep it moving.
    As for cat calling some women like it, some women hate it. It's all a guessing game with flirting

0|0
    2|0
  • Guys can undoubtedly be creepy. However SOME women are so desperate for attention that they can't even be looked at without overdramatically depicting themselves as victims of harassment

1|1
    0|0
    • That is only a few insecure women, most of us just don’t like to be objectified

• Exactly! Which is why I made sure to highlight "some". In reality, most women are very capable of handling themselves without falling to pieces simply because of an awkward gaze. Similarly, the majority of men aren't ghoulish sexual predators intent on creating uncomfortable feelings. As far as objectification goes, guys don't have immunity. Females aren't the only ones forced to deal with being viewed in an inconvenient manner.

• Precisely👍🏼

• Is it that easy to get under women's skin?
    If catcalling is considered harrasment, then we've truly become the generation of pussies.

1|2
    2|0
  • To everyone who catcalls: if you think someone is attractive just walk up to them and introduce yourself. The moment you catcall them you ruin every chance you had of being with that person

0|1
    0|0
  • I would imagine it's the same reason why women do it, to try and attract attention. Not really to flirt as much as to just control the situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • That’s nature mame
    Lions growl and bite female lions lol lucky we don’t bite her when we walk by 😂

0|0
    3|0
    • Triple: It's not nature, it's choice, when a guy cat calls, and reduces a woman worth to her body.

• @markscott ya probably right
      But that’s expected when guys do the chasing

If girls did the chasing they would be cat calling men

• I can see why catcalling can be freaky to Girls but Girls also do it tp guys as well , it just comes down to if you are someone that catches someones eye cuz they find you attractive , it's a way of getting their attention hoping that person will make eye. contact and smile back to make it easier for them to approach you instead of just walking up to someone and getting. in their space being a complete stranger, and saying Hi I Think you're. gorgeous or beautiful , Guys and Girls usually do this with their friends to be funny , Girls have done it to me. and i Think it's funny , if i find her attractive i Will usually make eye contact with her and smile and let her know Its ok to approach me , if i am hot attracted to her I still smile and just SMH and keep walking , it just comes down to taking a chance cuz ypu probably will never see that person again if you dont make an attempt

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't do that kind of thing but it is not to make you feel unsafe..

0|0
    0|0
  • I love being cat called but I know others dont

0|4
    4|1
  • I don't know it’s sad

3|1
    0|1
  • They don’t know any better

0|1
    0|1
  • Because you like it.

0|0
    1|1
  • Not all women hate it. Except some, like you!

0|0
    4|0
    • Look at you. You are the type of guy who believes in the sexist double standard. I’m not surprised.

• What is sexual leering? That's a new one for me

0|0
    0|0
  • All other ways they try fail and they're desperate.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is indeed rude, but what most women don't get is that cat calling, for the most part, has nothing to do with wanting anything sexual from her. That's why you see fat ugly women getting cat called. Do you think they wanna fuck that? No. They simply do it to mess with her.

Now that being said, cat calling isn't as big of an issue as some women try to make it be. I've lived in several countries and traveled to even more, and I can count the cat calls with one hand... well, except for Tunisia, but that's a Muslim country.

0|0
    0|0
  • When flirting is called sexual harassment 😹

0|0
    5|0
  • Shut up you've been complaining about men all day get over it ya feminist

0|0
    6|1
  • Why do SOME men sexually harass women in the forms of: cat calling and sexual leering?

0|4
    3|0

Recommended myTakes