Guys, what does my boyfriend mean by he is not ready for a serious relationship?

we have been together 10 months now a d he says he feels overwhelmed at times and says he sees a future with me so fat and use to talk about wanting to marry me one day in the future but now he says he does not know if he is ready for a serious relationship, i don't know if this is a bad sign that he said this? he said he loves me a lot and wants to be with me but wants us to take things slow, is this normal for a guy to say or does it mean he is not serious about me? we broke up Friday due to him saying it is best for me cause he feels unhappy in his life and that it's not because of me, so i don't know if it's just because he is dealing with a lot and depressed and every thing that he is saying he is not ready for a serious relationship? it does not mean he is gonna talk to other girls or any thing he says, we just need to work on things he says like the fighting aswell, is this good or bad that he said that?
6d
i did not hear from him all day yesterday after our break up but he messaged me this morning saying he misses me and is sorry that he knows he is difficult and stuff
6d
and now we are back together but he says he is not ready for a serious relationship like marriage talk and stuff that we must take it slow first but he says he does see a future with me

20