Boyfriend of 6 months said he needs to be alone as he has other priorities. He reached me yesterday. Pls see details. What should I do?

Boyfriend of 6 months told me last week that he needs some time alone and wants to take a break as he has other priorities mainly his career. When I met him he also looked sad and dull. I also dont see him much online on social media these days. He was a kind of person who used to be online all the time. He said he wants this relationship to work and only time will tell if we are meant to be together or not.. he says he knows its a loss for him if he loses me. He said he needs sometime. This happened last week.

And I got a text from him yesterday. He just commented on my pic and the way I look in it. So I don;t understand if he needs break and wants to be alone why is he trying to reach me? He has clearly told me he won;t take much efforts because of his priorities. So this confuses me. He is a great guy and I know he wouldn't be playing games with me. I donn know if he is confused or just considering me a friend now. I don;t wanna lose him and I am giving him all the space he needs. I have even stopped initiating contact after last week till he messaged me yesterday. I just replied to his text after that nothing.. what shall I do?
Dating

32