Why does he care to look at me so much if he’s not even interested in me in the first place?

This guy would always take the time to turn his head to look at me and we would make eye contact frequently. I used to look at him a lot and he would return my gaze every time and I would also notice him paying extra attention to me in particular. (For instance, out of everyone in a crowd, he would look at and try to establish eye contact with me). I went to him and told him that I liked him and he said he didn’t feel the same way, but at the same time he didn’t seem surprised or anything, it was like he expected it. So I’m wondering now, where did I go wrong? I thought frequent eye contact was a sign of interest but it seems like this isn’t the case.

12