Do you think my ex purposely left the relationship without giving me closure to save his image?

I only recently got closure from a relationship that ended a year ago. I found out that he left me for another girl. It broke my heart a second time because I had still had respect for him and thought of him as a good man for this entire year. The thing is, he was pretending to want to be with me the entire time and NEVER once told me otherwise. This time, even though my heart broke for the good guy who never existed, within a matter of days I felt all better. I had been hurting from that relationship for a whole year because I had thought that I had done something to hurt him. Not knowing that he was a liar and a manipulator, and having no closure, I was forced to relive that worthlessness every time I started trying to date again. It wasn’t until I had the full truth that I wasn’t angry at myself anymore for what I might have done wrong. I was confident again because I knew that it wasn’t something I did, it was his character! And now I finally feel like I can stop living in the past and beating myself up about it. And it just makes me wonder if he did it on purpose. Do people do that to save themselves from not being missed or not being loved anymore? Loving and missing him was so damaging to my self esteem because I knew deep down that he didn’t deserve it, but I didn’t know the reason WHY. I just knew that he wanted nothing to do with me. Knowing the truth, I could no longer blame myself for him leaving because I never tried to stop him or treat him like he HAD to be with me. There was a time when I had shared my suspicions about him being with another woman. I didn’t beat him up about it or call him any names. I told him for my sake I was leaving him alone... and eventually he begged for me back. So he knew EXACTLY what he was doing and he chose to lie to me. He wasn’t a victim of being in a relationship with me - he purposely used me for convenience and I can finally hold him accountable now that’s a I know the truth
1
0