Why does my friends with benefits "want to take a break" after I called him out on his behavior?

I called out this guy I've been sleeping with for a year on being super pushy (just through texts) on Saturday night when he said he was just going to show up to hook up with me even though I said no. Today I texted him saying I did not appreciate feeling like he wasn't respecting my answer and that it really bothered me. He apologized but said we should take a break from hanging out. Why do you think he wants to take a break? Do you think he's embarrassed (he has never been pushy like that before)? Or the fact that I called him out on it and he doesn't want to deal with any of it other than fucking around? I appreciated the sincere apology in the text but I was taken aback by him wanting to stop hanging out.
3
1