How can you tell if a guy likes you if he’s a bad communicator and if you guys can’t see each other?

Anonymous
I’ve been talking to this guy for a month (texting because we can’t see each other due to being in quarantine), however, since being in quarantine, feel like he’s not interested, because he rarely initiates conversations, keeps them going, or asks me about myself. I talked to him about it, and he said that he wasn’t a good communicator. I can tell that he’s trying a little bit to keep the conversations going, but he still rarely initiates. For example, I’ll text him “hey, how are you?” and he’ll just start talking about himself. It’s never “I’m doing good, how are you?” Expect for one time, he texted me around 1am asking how I was doing and said that his mental health has been declining since quarantine, and I talked to him and offered my support. However, when I talk about those kind of things with him, he’ll just say something like, “yeah that’s rough”. A few weeks ago, I asked him if he wanted to watch Netflix together via Netflix party, and he said, “I’d love to, but I have too much homework. How about next week?” But he never contacted me...
7 mo
When we were in person, it was easier to tell if he liked me, because he’d always stare at me, smile and say hi whenever we saw each other.
0
2