Starting a conversation with a guy I REALLY, really like?

Anonymous
I had a HUGE crush on this guy when I was in middle through high school. I swore I was in love. I always said if we were meant to be the universe would bring us back to each other's lives. Now I'm in my mid twenties and was finally over this guy when I ran into him at a bar on a night out with a friend.

We spoke for a few minutes but it was last call so he asked me for my number. We texted and caught up throughout the next day then he didn't respond to my last message. That was a few months ago (before covid). I want to reach out to him but I feel like his not responding means he wasn't really interested.

What do I say to start a conversation after not speaking for months? And how do I quickly find out if he's interested in a date/dating without coming off as desperate or out of the blue? I don't even know if he has a girlfriend, but would he have asked for my number if that were the case?
2
1