My boyfriend once said something very rude but it was a misunderstanding?

Anonymous
So when I took my senior pics and posted in on instagram, my boyfriend commented “I’ve seen better.” I was so freaked out and confused by that comment since he’s always calling me “beautiful” “gorgeous” and always kind of boosts my confidence when I’m feeling down. My mom was worried when she saw the comment and told me that was super rude of him to say. I ended up deleting the comment to avoid any more people questioning me. When I asked my boyfriend himself why he said that he told me that he’s seen better pictures of me. My boyfriend’s always been super blunt and direct, and he’s been working on being more sensible and empathetic with me since. But that was one of the times he’d been so rudely blunt. He told me that he didn’t mean by the comment that he’s seen better women or anything, he just meant that he’s seen better pictures of me. Still, it wasn’t something to post on instagram. It hasn’t happened since but the memory still lingers. My boyfriend has never really been a fan of me wearing makeup bc he thinks it “masks my true beauty.” This is why I was so confused when I thought he was insulting me like that, which at the end he apparently wasn’t.
+1 y
He’s also a photographer so maybe the pictures weren’t appealing to him? Maybe he was triggered or something and really meant better over the picture and not me? It’s what he told me he meant.
7
1