Guys, Guy keeps asking me to hang out but not on dates, is he stringing me along?

Anonymous
I've been talking to this guy I went to high school with years ago, for about 2 weeks maybe a little more. I've hung out with him a few times as well. First time we hung out he called it "a friendly date", other times we hung out we just did things around the city because there wasn't much to do. I told him clearly the other night that what he keeps calling a date is not one unless it is made known.

I think he's still stuck on his so called "best friend" that broke his heart, that he is still friends with! Sometimes he'll act fine, like he's completely ok and fun and then other times he just seems off. Like distant or unemotional in moments.

I went to a birthday party if one of his family members at a park. We had fun after I warmed up and he said "I like you" "I care how you feel about me"

His grandma invited me over for dinner but I ended up not going because he didn't seem like he was ok with it. Then the day I would have come over for it (yesterday), he asked if I wanted to come over to "hang out".
Why can't he just get over the person that doesn't fucking love him, when it's been years? Instead of referring to something as a date and then going on to say were hanging out. Crazy thing is I originally just wanted to hang out with him as a friend, but he kept acting like it was more than that. He actually seemed decent and fun to be around.
3