I'm in love with my best friend. Should I tell him?

Anonymous
I've been depressed since childhood, I never had a true friend. The friends I had betrayed me over & over again.
I've known this guy since 2 years, we became best friends & he's the only friend I have. I'm in love with him & I don't know if he feels the same.

He cares about me, we talk to eachother for hours, he used to call me every day & he said that he feels comfortable with me.
Once our class was planning a trip across the country & he wanted me to come with him. Because other people don't understand him & they make fun of him all the time. So he was convincing me like he needed me like an emotional support. We had those "moments" or eye contact that makes you question your feelings/relationship with that person.

But now during this pandemic, we talked only 4 times in 6 months, he's replying my texts after 3-12 hours. He said that it's because he's cousins are home & he don't want them to make fun of us or tease him all day about me. But if we're just friends, then why he's worried about what people say?
Then about a months ago, I got sick & he was worried. He started to text back promptly for a few days. Now again he's delaying the communication.

I'm confused. I don't know what he feels about me.
So I'm stuck between should I tell him or not, because I'm risking our friendship here.
Guys, how would you react if your friend told you that he/she is in love with you? Will it affect your friendship? And what do you think about my situation? Any suggestions?
2
0