Did this guy let me down easy or does he actually want to have a friendship with me?

Anonymous
Dated for a few weeks. He told me that he doesn’t want a relationship with me because we are at different stages in life and it’s for the better. He said that he still wants to be friends but understands if I don’t want that. He said that he would be sad if I decided not to he friends with him (... which makes me think... why dump me). He said “you never know where our paths may cross in the future”. He also said that I deserve the best and any guy I find next should treat me the best. Told him I needed some time to re-process my emotions so that we could stay friends. We are both really friendly people who had a genuine, intimate connection with each other but I want to know if he genuinely wants a friendship with me or if he is just trying to be nice. Thoughts?
2
1