Guys and girls, if a man truly likes a female why wouldn't he ask her to be his girlfriend and want things to be solid?

Anonymous
So long story very short. My USE to be FRIEND and I have had plenty of deep conversation with one another over the years. And truth is, sometimes when I would ask them certain question's I don't think that they completely gave me a legit real answer. Over texting and the Internet, anyone can say anything with words. But anyways moving on. So just last week, I asked why (WE) him and I never dated, or why haven't he once asked me to be his lady. He says,
Because right when I try to get closer to you. You ended up talking to another guy, so I be like ok ima go with the flow. But yet, he mentioned to me another time and said, Cuz women don't keep it 100 with me, so why would I. So it puts me into thinking that every feel and things that he has told me in the last year or just in general. Was he telling the truth, or lying. I mean, I do recall one lie back in 2014. Yeah, trying to play single when he wasn't smh. Btws, my point is. If he was being honest, about me and the other dudes or guys. Then why would it matter. Like, I know for a fact that he isn't trying to be tied down right now. But again, why even allow time to be wasted and also let another guy take me. ?

3
1