Guys, Why did he back track?

Anonymous
talking to this guy for a few months subtlety, and over the past few weeks a little more. Started to flirt and both admitted we were interested - he offered to take me out and then the convo got sidetracked a little and never continued the topic of going out. I think maybe he got discouraged by my response so I waited a few days and made the move to initiate (what he already previously suggested) going out again and he did a whole 360. Downplayed it at first wondering what I was talking about, then I was direct and said I thought he was interested and wanted to go out. He said oh I did yes but back then, and I also have a lot of issues. SO CONFUSED! I thought we were on the same page with our feelings and what we were gonna do but he acted like that wasn’t his intent. I politely said I understood and that I just wanted to clear things up. Then he told me not to act different with him and I said no I won’t and then he proceeded to tell me that he already felt me acting different - now I’m upset. He’s trying to get me upset by asking me if I’m upset and telling me that I am after I calmly told him I wouldn’t. AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?
Guys, Why did he back track?
Add Opinion