My friends with benefits says "I love you" all the time/every day but insists he doesn't want a relationship?

Anonymous
I've been in a Friends With Benefits circumstance that has been a bit untraditional, in the sense that he had been treating me more and more so as an actual girlfriend and it felt like we were in a full romantic, committed relationship without the title.

Recently, he initiated the conversation in trying to clear the air about what we really are and he expressed how he felt he led me on more than he intended. He clarified that he loves me. but as a person, as an individual. but that he "doesn't love me as a girlfriend" - his words. He said he only want a friends with benefits relationship and wants us to be more like it instead of too romantic with each other, because he doesn't see us being together. After that conversation, not much has changed. He still says "I love you" to me when he sees me at least 4-5x casually. I met his parents, he met mine. I met his best friends and he introduced me. We spent more than 3 nights a week sleeping over, cuddling next to each other. We're still very 'lovey dovey' and I personally really would love for this friends with benefits to turn into a relationship. But he seems to contradict himself

And my question is really for anyone who's been in this situation. What is going on in a man's mind? Could he just not be ready to level up and is postponing it? Bc his actions show how much he really cares about me.
1
1