He told me his dad is dead, is he an attention seeker or is it real?

Daisy_Bojangle2
I met a guy online, last year in November. Although weve known each other for a year we text on and off every couple of months. Back in January he asked me out but he lives in another country so I said no thanks. Fast forward to last week, he told me that his dad ran off year ago, came back and stole his money. I supported him all that I could. Then today he told me his dad died over a snap of him crying, in his own words "I'm not joking, my dad has just died. I guess you know what I look like when I cry now". I supported him even though it seemed a little off. Then he replied back to me with a snap of the wall "I can't believe I lost my dad at 15. Im going to sleep, goodnight". Some things to bare in mind is that when we first messaged he told me he was 17 and English is his second language. Some things aren't adding up but nevertheless lying or not he needs help or a friend but is he joking, attention seeking or for real? What does he have to gain?

3
1