Should I challenge the guy I'm seeing to give me a thoughtful Christmas gift or just tell him exactly what I want?

Anonymous
My best friend of 7 years & I've been seeing each other for 6 months. He recently asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I honeslty don't know what material stuff I want. I told him that I would love it if he'd take me to this illuminated light trail about 45 min away;It seems amazing & I would love to make a memory with him. The trail's free/ just $6 parking. He complained that it's"so far away" "so cold" & "I would rather just buy you whatever you want on Amazon or something". However he said he'd think about it. He tells me later to stop playing so he can buy it before Christmas πŸ™„πŸ˜‚ I suggested that he think about my hobbies & rehinted about the trail. He says he's not good at getting special gifts for people & is scared to give a gift that's not useful. I told him not to worry & that it should come from the heart & he said "nah it comes from my wallet". He also said "I can't think! If you don't tell me what you want I really won't get you anything, not joking". I know he's bluffing because he's been asking some of my other friends what to get me & because I've known this nerd since middle school.

I'm super sus because my birthday was last month & he got me these amazing $90 headphones. I once commented on how comfortable his headphones were & how I was sick of mine. The gift was super thoughtful & shows that he was listening to me. We've been giving each other gifts for years so why can't he think all of the sudden? Is he confused this year because we're seeing each other?
I'm just so confused why he thinks it's WAY easier to drop $90 on me when he could make me happier by driving & paying $6. He messaged me again today telling me that if I think of anything to let him know. Should I just think of something that I want or let him struggle to come up with a thoughtful gift idea/see if he comes through with the walking trail date? Thanks a bunch! I will update around Christmas!
Heres the trail!
Here's the trail!
Should I challenge the guy Im seeing to give me a thoughtful Christmas gift or just tell him exactly what I want?

1
1