Why did my crush rejected me?

Anonymous
So he was only my crush, I didn’t know him at all and just liked him because he was hot and he seemed really nice based on things his friends said about him.

I reached out to him by dm speaking about a topic he liked and we talked for a while and the conversation drastically changed when i told him I liked him after he started showing disinterest in our chat. I basically said I was interested in him because I thought that if I didn’t do anything and just let the conversation die (because it was about to end soon after all my questions were answered) that nothing would ever happen, so I decided to venture into the unknown.

He was basically taken aback and became distant, up until our last conversation where he said he “wouldn’t be so bold as to do what I did to someone who he didn’t know, someone that was more likely to say no than to say yes”, afterwards we joked a bit and I finally asked him if it was a no from him (simon cowell vibes), and he affirmed it.

Anyways I think dating out of your league really is hard😂

Why do you think he said no? Do you think that if maybe I was prettier or more of his type he would’ve said yes or at least entertained the idea? What can I do to improve in the future?
Why did my crush rejected me?
2
2