My guy friend/coworker texts me daily and sends mixed signals. Is he interested in more than friendship?

Grania
I have a great guy friend with whom I work indirectly (same job, different location). We've been texting for about a year and a half now and gradually they've gone from every 2-3 days to daily texts (for about 6 months now), not only at night but also during the day about random things that happen.
I used to be in a relationship that ended about 2 months ago.

I have the feeling he sometimes goes out of his way to text me (eg when working, when he's watching a movie with a friend, ...) and he sometimes makes these flirty comments (also uses lots of smirk emoji, emoji with the tongue out, sometimes wink emoji). When he wouldn't answer for a while he'd tell me he was busy with X or Y. When I became single this didn't change at all, which made me think he liked me.

Yet 2 weeks ago he told me he had a walk date with another girl and he said he was kinda bummed she didn't really text much afterwards even though he enjoyed it. (He's not the kind of guy to date around.)

I saw him at work when I was with other colleagues and he kept hanging around although his presence was not really requested (he knows the others good as well) but didn't say much to me in particular. The moment we were home afterwards he immediately texted and said I was the smartest in the room. He also texted until one o clock the other night asking my opinion about an apartment he was interested to buy. Now last week he suddenly didn't text me for 3 days...

Does it seem like he's interested or is he being friendly? Does he just respect me? Is he insecure and is that the reason he mostly texts and doesn't ask me to hang out? Did he try to test the grounds by talking about his date? This is so confusing.
6
0