If a guy who you told you like complains to others he doesn’t have a girlfriend, do you have a chance with him?

Anonymous
I told a guy that I like him essentially (think he’s cute and all), but he complains to others that he doesn’t have a girlfriend.

I feel stupid and rejected. I think he’s fishing for attention or something. I don't know. I’m not ugly, but not stereotypically gorgeous (8+) either, but guys have told me otherwise.

I don’t want to pursue him, but do I need to make it totally clear that I’m into him and would like to date him and see where things go? I fear being rejected so really don’t want to do this. I’m sometimes flirty in texts, but hold back sometimes too bc of being rejected. He tends not to respond/respond as quickly when am more direct with meeting up, etc. Should I continue our casual chats as they are? I like him a lot, but this hurts and he may or may not even know it. I don't know
4
1