Do guys need extra time to process criticism/the fact that a girl is emotionally hurt by them?

Yaaaay
(We are not in a real relationship yet)

When I get hurt by something that he is involved with, I tend to hold it in for a while and then when it gets to a point where I just have to tell him. As we both work late and a lot and have exams, it can be hard to find a time to meet. So I have then texted him saying that he hurt me instead. Both times, he took 2-3 days to respond to the message. By then, I already thought he had ghosted me for life. Instead, he texted he was sorry and wanted me to call him. He apologized and told me it was bad behaviour from his side.

Although he is not a big texter, what I just don’t understand, is why he takes so long to respond, as soon as it is about that something is bothering me. It doesn’t make the situation better. Do guys need more time to process the fact that they have done something wrong and hurt a girl or why is it so hard to just respond. For me it comes across as careless, unsensitive and that he is cold hearted. But I know, that when we are together, he is so emotional with me and does everything for me. I get confused about his personality and I don’t think he understands the extent it hurts me that he takes so long
2
1