Is it normal to be worried about gaining the weight back again after you reach your goal-weight?

Is that as common as I think it is?
I have noticed a common pattern with close friends, cousins and even myself after gain-loss.
All of us were worried about gaining it back.
I already know that I have to gain around 2-3 kg in order to be normal/healthy, however I am afraid of seeing the scale increase because I am worried that I might gain all of it back.
It's such an irrational fear, but I already know that other people had it before me.
Sometimes I wonder if that kind of behavior is normal. I mean, I still work to maintain my current weight (consume around 1500-1800 per day), I also still eat sugary stuff and I am not strict, so I don't think I have an ED or something.
However, if I happen to be eating more than that, I panic even though I acknowledge that I have to gain a bit more.
I am wondering if other people feel the same way and if there is a way to stop feeling that way.
Just... vote.

• Normal
  • Not normal

523

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know of anyone who lost a significant weight who didn't have the same concerns. It's normal.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was once 187 lbs at 13 and over time I lost weight and I'm 127 lbs. My goal is 115. I did gain 10 lbs back and it was horrible. It's easy to gain weight back.

What Guys Said 22

• Before bariatric surgery became popular it was thought that if a person lost 100 pounds or more it was a human impossibility to keep it off for five years.

Well, I have done it. Back in 2007 I lost 103 pounds and have kept most of it off ever since.

It took giving up junk foods including fast foods, convenient store "goodies" and a lot of other things I used to love.

Now whenever I eat that stuff I throw it up. My body is telling me it does not want it or like it.

The key to keeping weight off for the rest of your life is to never, ever revert back to what put the weight on in the first place.

Learn about good and bad carbs. I try to limit my daily carb intake to around 25 or so. And watch calories. Before I buy anything to eat I look at the carb and calorie content and ask myself this question: "If I consume this will I end up wearing it?". If the answer is Yes I put it back.

Want to change your body weight? You have to change what you are putting into your body. For the rest of your life. And when you become used to the new things you consume you will not want to go back to the previous you or the products that made you like that.

• I should imagine that being a reasonable weight is a function of eating when you're hungry, never to excess, except when through your own will you choose to pleasure yourself with food, and an active lifestyle. These shouldn't be contrivances, but come naturally from self respect and wanting to be healthy. All diets are doomed to fail. Counting calories, being terrified of the scales and all that junk is surely unhealthy and a great tyranny. :)

• It's totally normal, that missing weight is the result of our sweat, tears, and skipping the extra sugar in the coffee. Losing weight is hard work, and the thought of losing our efforts is horrifying. But your goal wasn't to be tiny, it was to be healthy. So do that, live a healthy and happy life, underweight is a condition same as overweight is, it's not a healthy way to be and you won't have the quality of life you worked so hard for. It's a phase of the same life's work a lot of us wish we could get to. Fight the good fight, but always face the enemy.

• Yeah I lost weight after primary school, and am about to go on a diet again partially because I dont want to get that fat back

• it's called a yo-yo diet

• It's not, since I never gained back the weight.

• Most moron don't realize fat cells never go away, they just diminish in size. The number of fat cells and location are a genetic function. So of course those empty fat cells want to be filled up. Eat a proper diet, which most people think of as whole wheat bread and low fat foods (just proving how stupid they are) and have age appropriate physical activities and your body will take care of you. You may not be as perfect looking as I am but blame genetics. Oh by the way if you believe counting calories is useful for anything, you are really stupid.

• Pretty sure females can't get ED. Gotta have a penis to have erectile dysfunction.

Definitely normal.

• Think she means "eating disorder"

• I honestly had a brain fart and had no clue what you meant, was thinking body dysmorphia honestly, but I do know ED is referred to erectile dysfunction lol.

• Lol, that's alright! Many people would get confused, no worries.

• I want to share my opinion but most women on here might be offended. I'm 5'10" 133lbs (trying to gain weight). I've worked like a slave my whole life. Paid too little, working manual labor jobs, and being around toxic people. These days I work in skilled labor, have more money and whaddaya know I'm gaining weight!

• That only happens because people go back to their old habits after they lose weight.
    You simply need to stick with a proper diet and then you should have no reason to worry about gaining the weight back.

• Yes, but that's because of stress to get there.

• To keep the weight on or off, you need to completely change your habits permanently.

• A bunch of "the biggest loser" gain most of there weight back. your body likes to keep a norm

• Normal!

• Yes it's normal to worry about gaining weight that you've loss.

• Yes... duh?

• Yes and its pretty common if someone is not following a strict plan.

• You got rid of it, if you stop working on it, you will end up gaining.

• Nothing I live is easy and you will never reach a goal a and then never have to work again. Even CEOs troll have to work 60 hours a week.

• Yes it's normal

• yes and it's not an unreasonable concern. Yo-yo dieting is as bad if not worse than no diet at all.

• Totally normal on my opinion

• If what you did to lose the weight is not sustainable, then you will worry. However, if you made changes that you can sustain for the rest of your normal life, then you are less likely to worry.

What Girls Said 4

• It's Natural and Yes... Normal Here, dear.
    If One, hun, loses the Fat too Fast, it won't Last.
    Keep Going and Flowing. And Relax. Follow your Routine now and you should be Okay. I think Some, hun, Become too Overconfident and this Why, no Lie, the Weight comes Back which can be Wack.
    Good Luck. xx

• It is normal there are ways to keep it off healthily also don't freak out if it does change like 500g o even one kg just keep on track normally.

To know you have a problem and should ask for help is when tha fear is controlling your life

• its normal because sometimes idc what i eat from all the starvation and i go on diet again

• It's totally normal, just don't let it consume you and don't let your worries take away your fun and freedom. if you feel like you are obsessing about it to the point it is unhealthy, I highly suggest going to see a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and stuff like that.