Tips for a fat girl at the gym?

I'm overweight and I recently joined a gym but my self confidence is so low I find it hard to go because I feel so judged. I know logically that everyone's just doing there own thing and don't care about me but I just get so scared

Any tips to boost self confidence in the gym?

1127

Most Helpful Guy

• think of it this way: you're doing something about it. it's not logical for them to judge u for being overweight, when u there to lose the weight. I actually think it's kinda cool to see someone overweight at the gym. it shows me that they haven't simply given up, and are trying. I think that your decision to go to gym is commendable and brave. if anyone judges you, just keep in mind your goal. once you reach that goal, if they still judge you, I suppose it's probably because they're jealous. hope you don't feel too overwhelmed, and good luck 😉

Most Helpful Girl

• As a "fit" gym rat I'll tell you exactly what I think about overweight people at the gym,

"Good for her. That's inspiring. I'm so glad she's so dedicated"

Seriously that's what the gym is for, personal improvement for whatever level you're at. And honestly I still have days where I judge myself too. It's natural but you have to learn to kick those thoughts out and see how far you've come!

What Guys Said 26

• I find it cool seeing overweight people in the gym.
    You also have to realize that once you're BMI is in the overweight / obese zone, your diet will be in my opinion 70-80% more important than the gym. Quitting sugar and processed stuff, cooking always, and not eating unless you have to (avoiding snacking) will help you reach your goals faster.
    When I'm in the gym, I wear a hat and do my own thing. If you get really conscious you might wanna try Calisthenics (body weight workouts). Calisthenics is awesome if you hate the gym... and you can do it virtually anywhere you want. The park, your home, garage, etc... I'd also recommend Pilates (awesome for core and toning), running (quickest and hardest way if losing weight imo), and interval training (whether is hiit (like those 1 hour exercise videos, insanity, P90X, etc) or running in intervals (so many different kinds but you can run quarter mile as fast as possible... walk for a min and then run another quarter mile etc.. )
    I derive motivation by switching up workouts like that, unless I'm on a bulk phase or a program that requires me to be at the gym. You can also run stairs and do bunny hop squats on the stairs (I dare you to try this.. it'll kick your ass but it's awesome for your lower body).
    If you're adamant about sticking to the gym, just be safe and don't be afraid to ask people how to use equipment. People get seriously injured because they either go too hard too early or they simply don't know how the proper form for an equipment.
    Also try looking at gym goers as family, instead of strangers using gym equipment. Everyone there has a very similar goal so we're all in the same boat. I think once you get over your apprehensions and delve into the fitness world fully you'll love it more than anything else.

• Darlin nobody sees you. Nobody cares what you can or can't do. People that regular the gym get so zoned in that the only thing they pay attention to is 'is that bench free yet?'

When I first started I was embarrassed too until after I was lifting for a while I noticed I really didn't give a hoot what others were doing. It's all in your head.

• Many start out going to the gym not in shape. You can perceive the situation however you want, but it's up to you if you want to put action behind your thoughts. The road to becoming fit is not an easy one, don't expect much improvements your first few workouts. Stay dedicated to your workout plan and you will find improvements. Not will only your physical looks improve, but also your state of mind, self confidence, and your mental "frequency" you normally operate in. I wish you luck in making yourself better!

• Just remember that many of them were probably like you are right now and take it as a motivation. You just joined the gym, nobody expects you to be strong, fast, flexible instantly. I'm sure everyone there knows the struggles of getting in perfect shape. Honestly, gyms are probably the only places where you'll always get support from the most experienced ones. :)

• It's just what you said. No one's looking at people, judging them for being at the gym. If you look at it this way, it might help: You deserve to be there more than the stick working out nearby, or the beefcake with biceps bigger than his head. They have no right to put any of their thoughts onto you. Kick ass and take names!

• Why go gym first? Start off with adjusting your diet, thats were you will get the best results first, then head to the gym when you start to lean out and you wanna get shredded, you will feel more confident, like your putting in the final touches on your sculpture rather then just starting out.

• I know a girl who felt like that until she started going and realized that nobody cared - everyone else was focused on their own workouts, too.

At least you're there doing something, right? You're going to be awesome.

• You are on a mission. Fuck what anyone thinks. I'm a personal trainer and do people's diets. If you want to shorten the journey IM me. No charge.

• Exercise and loose weight. Jason Statham says it best.
    "Your body is like a piece of dynamite. You can tap it with a pencil all day, but you'll never make it explode. You hit it once with a hammer: Bang! Get serious. Do 40 hard minutes, not an hour and half of nonsense. It's so much more rewarding."

• start with a treadmill a Nd better ask your gym guide

• get someone with you, hire a coach, get drunk, put on earplugs... i think thats all what comes to my mind now

• Quite the amount of people there have been where you are. Everyone starts somewhere, the important thing is that you did.

• fat girls are beautiful. you gonna be checked out the entire time you are there and us dudes always gonna be checking out your ass. so go with a notepad and if you feel like fucking, ask a guy for their number and tell them you want to meet with them later for more of a workout.
    He will give you the tip

not the advice you were looking for... then have more confidence in yourself and stop worrying about what others think

• Always run before exercise, spend a lot if time at the treadmill. Also go to the gym to workout and not to look at others. If you pay enough attention you won't face any problems

• I'd actually say start weightlifting ASAP if you want serious weightloss and end your workout with cardio

• Cardio is the base of sport. Whatever your workout is cardio is always included. Also, it make s a person healthier, which is the main reason people do sports aside from fun

• Plug your headphones in and imagine yourself being where you want to be, do slow breathing exercises and workout to a rhythm that suits you.

• avoid fast-food, cold drink, smoking, consumption of alcohol... take black coffee in morning,..20 minutes before going to the gym. ... and start with the 15-30 minutes cardio... eat salad and veggies

• you can follow me on instagram... I can surely help you... (ravipanwar_r2d )----this is my username

• never ever drink any type of energy drink that contains caffine before exercising that is how you get heart attacks and shit.

• Heyy it is very cheap and the best fat burner and it provides energy...

• Work hard. Never give up.

• have a good diet first, then go to the gym and stop caring about what other people says

• do your work out, don't wear revealing/tight/inappropriate clothes, don't annoy other members and they or at least me wouldn't care

• I am sure the people there already told you

• Leave gym, change your diet, return once you are skinny.

• Lol, I think these are the most random downvotes I have ever gotten.

• Just put on headphones and imagine that you're at an all you can eat buffet. When you go to those, I bet you run back and forth to the serving table 100 times, that can represent your interval cardio on the treadmill

• don't give up

• Maybe do some twerking to show others how sexy you can be

• Try running outside if you are able to

• Don't wear tight cloths else people will stare at ur ass ;)

What Girls Said 10

• I was in the same spot as you girl just do what you got to do also bring a girl friend with you go as gym buddy's you can help each other out and reach your goal i too was afraid of the gym but the first day i went no one really looked at me that was my fear but once I hit the gym it was amazing I lost so much weight i started at 220 pounds and now I'm 164 it was a struggle because at one point I was stuck on 195 and it pissed me off but I pushed for it you got this don't give up believe in yourself and work hard to get to your goal 😉

• think about how hot you're gonna be, and how you will have a success story that will be motivation for others.
    Another thing is, anyone who judges you have their own issues and aren't very confident themselves. You're doing a brave and admirable thing. I am not overweight but I need to get up and get active again myself, do your thing.

• Aw man. You're saying she's not already hot as she is. How mean 😣😔

• @HeatNation1 I am not saying she's not hot, she could be hotter than I am. I prob should have said how much hotter haha, but she gets it. That is something I'd say about myself too even though I am skinny. I need to tighten up my stomach, I used to be really fit, so I am that hot now myself.

• Since you're already working out, you don't need exercise tips, you need confidence tips. Try to buy cute work out clothes, wearing them does make you feel a bit confident, trust me. Make a playlist that makes you feel like a beautiful, sexy badass. A really good song is Good as hell by lizzo.

• Go with a plan so that you're not wondering around the gym thinking about what you should do, that helps tons.

• good ass music. the type of music you can lip sing to, you'll be so focused on getting the lyrics correct you won't notice people around you.

• Make a workout plan, do it, go home. Worry about what the next song on your playlist should be.

• Listen to uplifting music and fake confidence until you get it.

• Do not listen to people a lot. Inner beauty is more important. Your doing exercise for yourself.

• Cover up your fat rolls.

• I am overweight and working on losing weight too, I've never had an issue with confidence in going to the gym because in my mind if someone is going to make fun of a person trying to better themselves, that person has a lot more issues than me. They may be fit but they are ugly on the inside and that is so much worse than me being fat.

I think try to change your thinking, if someone is going to tease you that means something is wrong with them, not you. When you view bullies like that, it starts to make you pity them and their words or actions don't hurt as much, if at all.

I hope that you gain some confidence whether you're overweight or not and I wish you all the best with your weight loss journey, you got this girl!!