Why do we have wisdom teeth?

all they do is cause problems and painful toothaches and we usually get them removed and and considering they no longer have any use for anything so why is it that we still have them even in modern times when we have cutlery to thank for them.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well wisdom teeth are pretty much molars that grind down food. Doesn't matter what cutlery you have, you need molars. Now some people's wisdom teeth never come out or some come out without causing any problems. It takes an extremely long time before a body to evolve to get rid of something or create something new to adapt.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• According to my dentist people won't have wisdom teeth in the future. I only had two.

1|0
    0|0

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• The same reason we have an appendix. Ancesteral diets required them and we haven't pushed them out of the gene pool yet.

1|0
    0|0
  • because the human mouth evolved before dental care.

1|1
    0|0
  • Because in the past we use to eat many things that was very hard or crunchy so we evolved with more teeth to break them down easier, evolution takes time and we may or may not continue to get wisdom teeth in the future.

1|1
    0|0
    • even raw food uncooked and raw uncut meat?

• I was thinking more like tree nuts or small animals with shells.

• They're vestigial remmanants from our ancestors to help further break down plant tissue in their diets.

1|0
    0|0
    • You don't use a knife to cut a salad into pieces small enough to swallow.

• My mouth is large enough where they grew in just fine

1|0
    0|0
  • Because in the past getting your teeth smashed out or having to pull rotten ones was more of an issue

1|0
    0|0
  • Our jaws are shrinking due to poor nutrition. We haven’t adapted as a species to a primarily agricultural based diet. Pre agricultural humans consumed mostly meat, and had wider jaws that accommodates all their teeth.

1|1
    0|0
  • Wisdom.

1|0
    0|0
  • Because our bodies don't know it yet.

1|0
    0|0
  • Punishment

1|0
    0|0
  • Just how humans are made