Height change in late teens?

Kind of a dumb question here. I'm currently about 167cm, so about 5'4. I'm definitely not the tallest among my friends but not the shortest either. I don't like being this microscopic though, and I don't think it's like... attractive or anything.
I was wondering if it's even possible to keep growing past 18 y/o? I'd really hate to stay this short, I've had people tell me I will anyway, but I also heard others say you can grow even in your late teens.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone stops growing in different areas at different times. Generally you should cease growing in height around 21ish, IIRC... so maybe you'll grow some more, and maybe you won't. That said, you should aim to be comfortable with yourself. There's nothing wrong with being short, just as there is nothing wrong with being tall.

Personally, I think short girls are cute, and I'm generally sold if she's cute.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • You're right. It's just sort of frustrating to see my friends being taller than I am, then again they also weight more than me so I'm not complaining too much. If I could reach stuff properly I wouldn't mind, but it's. Definitely annoying having to stand on a chair or shit like that.
      Also, I'm glad some guys think short girls are cute. I thought they didn't really 🤔 But thank you!

• Ha. We definitely exist. :P If it's any consolation, I'm around average height and I still struggle with changing bayonette lightbulbs. xP

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, in theory, you grow until you're 21. But you need to check your bone age, it might be older than your actual age and causing the shortiness. If so, there's not much you can do besides getting to a healthy weight and doing swimming/basketball/volley.
    If you do that, you maybe can grow. I had a 2cm growth spurt at 17 (bone age of 20), the last time I had a growth spurt like that was when I was 14...

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I didn't even know bones could age this fast, damn. I've done gymnastics for over 3 years and it definitely helped me get more flexible but not much taller. I might as well try something else.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• It is possible but mostly for boys. Girls usually reach their full growth/height by 14 or 15. Once mensuration starts a girl usually only grows 1 to 2 more inches. If you know how tall you were when you first got your period you could tell if you have grown that extra one to two inches and are complete growing.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you can check with the doctor to see if your growth plates have fused yet. It is possible but not for everyone, lifting heavy objects + sleep a lot will force your body release more HGH, together with growth plates not completely fused, will make you grow taller (in theory lol)

1|1
    0|0
  • Yo girl, I'm the same height, and in my 20s, as a guy its more of an impact when you're short then as a girl.

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm sorry about that 😭 I don't see anything wrong with it personally but I know a lot of other girls want guys to be gigantic, which is just unrealistic.

• Show All
    • Oui, les françaises sont rares ici lol. I could opt for heels but that would probably make me what, 170cm. Germany has the tallest people and that's not fair honestly, they're all 6'.

• I'm at a german university but here mostly the guys are taller the girls not so much, so mostly under 170cm

• Women tend to get their growth spurt at beginning of puberty (where as men get it later). You may still grow a tiny bit, but I'd get used to being short if I were you

1|0
    0|0
  • Hopefully somehow someway you'll be to grow in height a couple of more inches if you so desired.

1|0
    0|0
    • I hope so, maybe it's cute for guys (is it really) to see a girl that short but not that much when you can't reach the top shelf without help.

• I'm 5'11 so your height will be perfect for my liking.
      I can understand the top shelf reference cause my Mother is 5 feet and sister is 4'9

• Well I'm still growing but It's VERY unlikely for a girl as they hit puberty earlier.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, I suppose so. Could've done more.

• Uhh I know that feeling my dad is like 6'4 and I'm barely 6'0 that shitty diet and lack of sleep in adolescence GODDAMN

• "Barely 6'0"? That just seems super tall for me, how's the weather up there. Also I completely forgot that lack of sleep and/or food could slow it down so I guess that's why I'm so short, fucking fantastic.

• Peut-être de 1 ou 2 cm pas plus lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe 2-3 cm max.
    167 is perfect for a girl

1|0
    0|0
  • guys can but im not sure about girls, 167cm isn't bad tho

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• it has happened for girls to grow a couple inches after 18 but my guess is you probably won't... 5'4 is a great height, don't sweat it girl

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah it will... Because according a study which shows the teens get rapid growth in height during entering into adult hood

1|0
    0|0
  • Much better than being 6' like me!

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, I always liked being short.

0|0
    0|0
    • Being short definitely has its advantages sometimes, especially in terms of clothing and weight. Maybe not so much when guys hurt their necks talking to you or being crushed in crowds.

• Haha, yeah true. But that's not really something that you can be faulted for, and, can often be avoided.

Recommended myTakes