Why do some people think they need to prove something to others at the gym?

A friend, my brother, and me we went to our school gym because it’s free and when we were there this guy just gets on the station next to me (I’m using a different station because I’m doing different things from my friend and brother.) but the gym was empty he could of gone to a farther one but I didn’t care at the moment I was just doing my thing but what pissed me, my brother, and my friend off was that he took off his shirt and he did a few reps on bench and it didn’t seem like he was doing sets he was just doing whatever and we noticed we didn’t say anything but we were kinda annoyed, but it was also funny because he tried to show off muscles that he doesn’t even have like the guy was skinny but he wasn’t like skinny ripped or anything he was just a guy that you can tell he needed work on his muscles and that annoyed us that he thought he had muscle but in fact he just looked wimpy and I have a friend who is ripped and has a great physique and he never took off his shirt not even when it was there hottest day, and what I don’t understand is why do people think the gym is a place to show off because I think a gym is just to improve yourself and see other people pursue a dream that they have that will come true if they work hard enough
0
3