Can depression make you skinnier?

I broke up with my boyfriend 2 days ago and I haven't been eating very much. Today the only thing I had was 1-3 bananas, 2 eggs, and 20 potato chips. I don't want to eat anything more. I'm hoping I can be permanently skinny if I skip meals every day from not wanting to eat.

110

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes, depression can cause you to not want to eat, which in turn, can cause you to lose weight. However, the kind of hope you have to skip meals everyday to stay skinny is not healthy. For anyone. At all. That is actually a form of anorexia. That is not a good thing to deprive your body of the food and nutrients it needs to function properly and to survive. The human body has evolved to eat 3 meals per day for a reason. By skipping meals you will lose weight, but in a very unnatural and very unhealthy way. And if you begin to train the mind to believe it is "right" to do this, if you don't see the results you want right away or you continue to have body image issues, the temptation may be there to deprive your body of even more food and nutrients and then you will be putting your health at even more of a dire risk. Don't start down that rabbit hole. Please. I beg of you.

Not to be too personal, but are you suffering from body image issues? Is there a reason you want to be "skinny"? Did your ex-boyfriend cause you to have any body or self-confidence issues?

I just hope this isn't caused by something you've been subjected to from outside influences is all. Regardless, please, please take care.

• It depends on the person. Some people eat a lot less when depressed, while others eat a lot more. And by the way, being skinny is not really something to be particularly fond or proud of. Try to overcome your depression and maintain a healthy weight and size.

Most Helpful Girl