I became vegetarian 2 weeks ago but recently I have been feeling less energetic, why? Am I missing vitamins in my diet?

This is how my daily meal routine goes like:

1st meal
Oatmeal with seeds and milk
Or
1 bottle of water with 2 grain bars.
Or
25 Oz tea with eggs or some other heavy meal.

-----between meals I drink water and eat peanuts or almond etc. ---------

2nd meal
A homemade fruit or vegetable juice or more tea.
And some food that contains vegetables or is made of veggies. I put cheese on most of my dishes and sometimes I eat beans or rise along side my main dish.

--------- "between meals..." --------

3rd meal
Usually milk and a banana.
Or A cereal
Or milk with some bake goods as banana bread or apple pie etc.

I don't like sodas or candys/sweets or salt and I haven't eaten fast food in a long time. But pastry and sugary baking goods are my weakness.
And I used to work out but I haven't in the last 3 months.I became vegetarian 2 weeks ago but recently I have been feeling less energetic, why? Am I missing vitamins in my diet?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's not vitamins you're lacking, it's protein. Without protein people generally do become less energetic, and while fruits and vegetables are packed with goodies and vitamins, most of them don't offer much in the way of protein.

It's a little easier since you're a vegetarian and not a vegan, because eggs are a good source for high-quality protein... and not just the whites; there's a LOT of protein in the yolk. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese also has a lot of nice protein.

You should probably consult a dietitian, though.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• You are missing fats, which are essential to stop that lethargic feeling.

Being vegetarian does not mean living off fruit and veg only!

Watch out for fruit juice. It is too full of fructose, which is sugar.

Try frying some of your stuff in virgin olive oil. Use it a a salad dressing.

There are five food types that need a balance:
    Fruit and veg, protein, dairy, fats, carbs. Search the internet for details. Plenty out there.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don’t agree with that food pyramid at all.
    I’m not surprised you’re not feeling energetic.

0|0
    0|0
  • ye probs B12 and omega 3, zinc and shiet take a multivitamin

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah cause you’re missing vitamins. I’ve been a vegetarian for 2 years

0|0
    1|0
    • Same for my aunt who was a vegetarian for about 20 years then when she and my mom and I went out to a restaurant she wanted to try chicken and so she quit being a vegetarian, at the age of around 30 she was so tired of taking supplements so she just started eating fish, chicken and meat again...

• Take supplements

0|0
    1|0
  • No, vegetarians usually get more vitamins. You probably don't eat various types of food in order to get all what you need, not just vitamins but also minerals.
    If you're missing vitamine B12 - you can get it from Nori algae, nutritional yeast, eggs, shitake mushrooms, milk and cereal.
    If you're missing vitamine D, you can get it from milk, yogurt, cheese, Wakame algae, various mushrooms (Maitake, Portobello, Chantarelle), and sunlight.
    Balanced vegetarian food has everything you need, only vegans need supplements.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• As vegetarian you will never have enough energy for some advanced workouts. Reason is very simple, most of the vitamins you can find only in traces, plants misses two most important amino-acids that you only can get through animals who eat plants, because as food they eat get diagested, their body becomes saturated with nes acids, that is why people evolved so much because meat made it possible because it gives to brain enough energy to fuel all the organs and functions after he recharges himself. You dont get that amount of energy with veges.

Vege proteins are also mostly toxic and our body neutralize those toxins. I remember a year when whole fitness world was talking about vegge colesterol. I finish fito-farmacy as my high school and we learned all about food and chemistry in it. And vegge colesterol is one of those toxins that our saliva and stomach acid eliminates first. So it was really idiotic to see what uneducated people from fitness world are talking.

There is no been, salad or oil that will give you two most important amino-acids that our body is using to produce colesterol. And colesterol builds your hair, muscles, bones, it feeds your heart by making it stronger, it builds your nails and it has very big effect on hormone balance in your body, and nost important yet, it nakes your body cells live longer, and have thicker membrane that protects them from viruses and bacterias. Vegetarians that avoid meat or animal products like eggs, honey, milk, cheeze... Basically destroy their metabolism after a few years.

If you do sports you need animal fat to keep your brain and body healthy. ;)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you're eating too much sugary refined crap. There's not much substance there. You need more cooked whole meals. You don't need to eat as much fruit if you're a vegetarian. I always roll my eyes when vegetarians eat stuff like pineapples (appropriate if you live in tropical climates) and ice cream. You don't need to eat as much fruit (or other 'yin' foods (see yin and yang theory in relation to foods) if you're not active, you live in a colder climate or you're in a colder season.

Like I say, more well cooked grounding whole foods. Don't be afraid of some more bulky and fatty foods too. Your last meal is basically nonexistent.

I don't profess to be some arbiter of health, but I personally prefer something like:
    Breakfast:
    low sugar granola with organic oat or rice milk.

lunch:
    brown rice, vegetables and (a few ingredient) falafels.
    Or brown rice and some chickpea, mushroom and chopped tomato combination I make. You can alternate between different kinds of ingredients and even use (few ingredient) baked beans or other alternatives. Add in some olives, hoummous and some olive oil for fat and a bit more interest.
    Tea (or dinner):
    salmon chips and veg.
    Or vege burger (few ingredients, nothing dodgy ingredient wise), oven baked sweet potato chips (cook them yourself, easy), vegetables and cheese.

I'll snack a lot, and I don't mind eating some crap as long as the basis is good. You can eat nuts, seeds what have you (again, don't eat too much sugar). Crisps and a bit of chocolate. Peanut butter. Low sugar 'bulky' cereal/nut bars (watch out for the sugar content on these, try not to eat any with more than about 6grams of sugar - and as always, only a few good ingredients). etc.

Try not to make dairy the mainstay of your diet since it can create mucous and other health problems if you eat too much of it.

Try and still eat what your body deeply desires. Remember that the body is naturally self regulating in terms of food preferences. This is one of the disadvantages of restrictive diets. Sometimes you can't eat what you really want. You might also consider pescatarianism as a reasonable alternative or useful as a transition. It's how I eat, and I think it's a reasonable balance.

A desire for sugary foods would perhaps suggest motivity issues. Maybe there's some problem you don't want to deal with in life, or something else. Sugar spaces you out in quantity (extreme yin). Just speculating. But you did mention not working out for all those months.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not enough protein is the most common cause of vegan/vegetarian fatigue.
    People greatly overestimate the quality and quantity of plant-based protein.

The basal requirement of dietary protein for the average man is 56 grams/day.
    That equals to having to eat 1.5 pounds of cooked kidney beans every day.

As a vegetarian, you are stuck with eating absurd amounts of legumes, or highly processed soy products such as tempeh to get adequate intake of protein.
    Alternatively, you may have to supplement protein.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes