Do you think obesity is a problem in your country?

Please tell me which country you're from and elaborate yourself. Detailed comments and statistics (percentages) appreciated. #Overweight #Obesity #Fat

According to a researcher interviewed by NRK - a Norwegian news channel, ca. 70% of the Norwegian population are overweight. The number was higher than I thought. I guessed ca. 45 - 50%. I've noticed there are more people getting health problems and being overweight. Almost everyone over 60 are overweight. Many foreigners believes almost everyone in Scandinavia are slim, but I can tell them that certain stereotypes aren't true. Many Scandinavians looks like many British and American people, not like the few handpicked celebrities. Junk food isn't only common in the US. Norway started the last decades to adopt the American food and TV-culture too.
  • Yes, we've an extreme obesity problem (Explain)
  • We've a big overweight population. It's a problem, but not extreme (Explain)
  • There are more overweight now than earlier, but not a big problem (Explain)
    Vote C
  • No, there are very few overweight and obesity is rarely a problem (Explain)
    Vote D
  • No, almost everyone are fit and healthy (Explain)
    Vote E
  • No, underweight is a bigger problem (Explain)
    Vote F
  • Other (Explain What & Why)
    Vote G

2425

Most Helpful Girls

• We have a memorable overweight population with 30%
    We are the fattest in Europe according to this map.
    This is world obesity
    I am surprised that some Europeans below gave higher numbers.
    Are 70% of Norwegians really overweight?
    I also know Scandinavians as slim.
    We have pretty much perfect food here even foreigners who live here for a few years become fat. (I know it from my German-American teacher) She says she eats Turkish food everyday and she also says she did not miss hamburgers at all.

• Both of your maps seems outdated. The new research were published in late 2018 and were probably done either early 2018 or late 2017. They says 7 of 10 Norwegians or 70% are considered overweight.

There are many who aren't overweight too. The thing here is that the minority (celebrities, models etc.) often gets the job to represent the majority. Stereotypes are also often based on old stuffs and stays although things have changed the last decades. As a Norwegian I see extremely many overweight people everyday. I can confirm that some stereotypes are just stereotypes.

• @whatamievendoing117, that's true. American culture has influenced Norway. E. g. McDonalds.

• The pizza shit is fantastically hilarious my friend insinuates you all have more pizza than the Italians which is just a joke but certainly not for him LOL

I don't even soda I LIKE WATER, it's just so funny hearing someone gorge themselves who also likes to call me a "burger".

• The dark blue is men and the other one is women. I live in germany. It seems to be a Problem the older we get

• We've a similar issue in Norway, but when I see statistics from some Asian and African countries it doesn't seem like an issue. I think it must have something to do with genes and culture too, not only the country's economy. In Japan many people, even the elderly, seems fit and slim. There are very few overweight old people in Japan and people there tends to look younger for a longer time. Some seems to stop aging until they hit their 70s. Most Japanese have a good economy. Some Africans and other Asians also keeps themselves fit and young looking although not everyone lives in the most impressive living conditions.

• Most Japanese, as in other Asian nations, are naturally slim. I wouldn’t say fit, though I guess many try to at least walk a bit everyday. Many seniors still wake up and go to be early and maintain the same diet they always had all their lives.
      I don’t think it’s particularly genetic, maybe more of a discipline and safety thing. Also, the number of elderly people in the country is quite high and therefore there are also also many activities they can join.

I don’t know about the lifestyle in Germany, but I know of a few seniors back in my country that stopped going out much because they can’t walk as well as they could and are generally weaker and slower. My own grandmother got her purse stolen a few times because of this. Granted she was always quite thin, but she didn’t want to go out as much because there was also less and less people to talk to as she aged, then it was cold, etc.
      Depending on what you eat and with your metabolism naturally getting slower every year, I can imagine it’s not that hard gaining weigh.

Most Helpful Guys

• I live in austria. I think people are not that much overweight but its not healthy at all. Before few weeks i was at pool in switzerland and people from outside look normal but when they remove clothes they are fucking fat. I have nothing against that, its not my problem but for them its not healthy to carry that amount of fat. My mom is always against my fitness lifestyle and they call me "not healthy" and "crazy" and only reason they call me like that is cuz they are "fat" and "not healthy" ones.

• In Canada, at least the part I live in, people (on average) are more overweight than obese. It's pretty rare to see someone morbidly obese (much more common in the US from what I've seen) and we're nowhere near as bad as the US, but it's still a pretty visible problem.

That being said I don't think BMI is the most accurate indicator of someone's obesity or fitness level at all. It doesn't take into account body fat percentage and muscle weight, which in my opinion are much better indicators of measuring how fit or overweight somebody is. For example, if there are two men the exact same height and weight but one has more muscle mass than the other.