Do you think obesity is a problem in your country?

Please tell me which country you're from and elaborate yourself. Detailed comments and statistics (percentages) appreciated. #Overweight #Obesity #Fat

According to a researcher interviewed by NRK - a Norwegian news channel, ca. 70% of the Norwegian population are overweight. The number was higher than I thought. I guessed ca. 45 - 50%. I've noticed there are more people getting health problems and being overweight. Almost everyone over 60 are overweight. Many foreigners believes almost everyone in Scandinavia are slim, but I can tell them that certain stereotypes aren't true. Many Scandinavians looks like many British and American people, not like the few handpicked celebrities. Junk food isn't only common in the US. Norway started the last decades to adopt the American food and TV-culture too.
  • Yes, we've an extreme obesity problem (Explain)
    Vote A
  • We've a big overweight population. It's a problem, but not extreme (Explain)
    Vote B
  • There are more overweight now than earlier, but not a big problem (Explain)
    Vote C
  • No, there are very few overweight and obesity is rarely a problem (Explain)
    Vote D
  • No, almost everyone are fit and healthy (Explain)
    Vote E
  • No, underweight is a bigger problem (Explain)
    Vote F
  • Other (Explain What & Why)
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• We have a memorable overweight population with 30%
    We are the fattest in Europe according to this map.
    This is world obesity
    I am surprised that some Europeans below gave higher numbers.
    Are 70% of Norwegians really overweight?
    I also know Scandinavians as slim.
    We have pretty much perfect food here even foreigners who live here for a few years become fat. (I know it from my German-American teacher) She says she eats Turkish food everyday and she also says she did not miss hamburgers at all.

1|0
    0|0
    • Both of your maps seems outdated. The new research were published in late 2018 and were probably done either early 2018 or late 2017. They says 7 of 10 Norwegians or 70% are considered overweight.

There are many who aren't overweight too. The thing here is that the minority (celebrities, models etc.) often gets the job to represent the majority. Stereotypes are also often based on old stuffs and stays although things have changed the last decades. As a Norwegian I see extremely many overweight people everyday. I can confirm that some stereotypes are just stereotypes.

• Show All
    • @whatamievendoing117, that's true. American culture has influenced Norway. E. g. McDonalds.

• The pizza shit is fantastically hilarious my friend insinuates you all have more pizza than the Italians which is just a joke but certainly not for him LOL

I don't even soda I LIKE WATER, it's just so funny hearing someone gorge themselves who also likes to call me a "burger".

• The dark blue is men and the other one is women. I live in germany. It seems to be a Problem the older we get

0|0
    0|0
    • We've a similar issue in Norway, but when I see statistics from some Asian and African countries it doesn't seem like an issue. I think it must have something to do with genes and culture too, not only the country's economy. In Japan many people, even the elderly, seems fit and slim. There are very few overweight old people in Japan and people there tends to look younger for a longer time. Some seems to stop aging until they hit their 70s. Most Japanese have a good economy. Some Africans and other Asians also keeps themselves fit and young looking although not everyone lives in the most impressive living conditions.

• Most Japanese, as in other Asian nations, are naturally slim. I wouldn’t say fit, though I guess many try to at least walk a bit everyday. Many seniors still wake up and go to be early and maintain the same diet they always had all their lives.
      I don’t think it’s particularly genetic, maybe more of a discipline and safety thing. Also, the number of elderly people in the country is quite high and therefore there are also also many activities they can join.

I don’t know about the lifestyle in Germany, but I know of a few seniors back in my country that stopped going out much because they can’t walk as well as they could and are generally weaker and slower. My own grandmother got her purse stolen a few times because of this. Granted she was always quite thin, but she didn’t want to go out as much because there was also less and less people to talk to as she aged, then it was cold, etc.
      Depending on what you eat and with your metabolism naturally getting slower every year, I can imagine it’s not that hard gaining weigh.

Most Helpful Guys

• I live in austria. I think people are not that much overweight but its not healthy at all. Before few weeks i was at pool in switzerland and people from outside look normal but when they remove clothes they are fucking fat. I have nothing against that, its not my problem but for them its not healthy to carry that amount of fat. My mom is always against my fitness lifestyle and they call me "not healthy" and "crazy" and only reason they call me like that is cuz they are "fat" and "not healthy" ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • In Canada, at least the part I live in, people (on average) are more overweight than obese. It's pretty rare to see someone morbidly obese (much more common in the US from what I've seen) and we're nowhere near as bad as the US, but it's still a pretty visible problem.

That being said I don't think BMI is the most accurate indicator of someone's obesity or fitness level at all. It doesn't take into account body fat percentage and muscle weight, which in my opinion are much better indicators of measuring how fit or overweight somebody is. For example, if there are two men the exact same height and weight but one has more muscle mass than the other.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 22

• No, there are few overweight and obesity is rarely a problem at least to what I can have noticed. Too I don't think there's more overweight people now than before. I asked my parents about, saw pics of people and people do not seems to weight more than before.
    To what I can have noticed it's mainly Middle Eastern that tend to be overweight in my country.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's funny, because they fast

• Show All
    • Could be that also.

• Many immigrants and refugees are poor, so they eats a lot of junk food which is cheaper, so therefor they may be more overweight than other people in France. In Norway the overweight rate is ca. 70% and it's mostly Norwegians themselves.

• Everytime I visit back home I notice people are getting bigger and bigger. Even little kids and young people. I think it’s their diet and the amount of sugar and oil ingested as people more and more eat out or buy pre-made stuff instead of cooking at home.
    I know of people who still have practically a new kitchen at home, always spotless since they only use the microwave and washing machine, haha.

At the same time, for other people buying organic is the new rage now. But they still stuff themselves with food and then have to hit the gym hard... it’s a cycle.

So basically, recently society seems to be divided mainly in two types of people: those who eat and don’t care and the health fanatics. Both though, apparently tend to eat too much.

My biggest “issue” though is people getting fatter - protruding bellies and love handles - but still wearing very fit clothes that showcase it all... I know, don’t like, don’t look, but it’s everywhere...
    Guess I’m used to here in Japan now where people tend to wear oversized tops and you don’t really have to see that kind of thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • In Canada it's a big problem. Nobody cares anymore what they're putting into their bodies. I try to encourage my friends to eat healthier but they really don't care about the consequences of it. They think they'll get skinnier from not eating, which is not true whatsoever. It's sad to see what our world has become to

0|1
    0|0
  • The vast majority of obese or overweight people I see in Amsterdam are tourists or expats/immigrants that aren't familiar with the cycling culture. The Dutch in general are one of the fittest nations and are actually the only EU people that is predicted to "get slimmer" in the future.
    I'm originally from Luxembourg and whenever I go home I do notice more overweight or obese people there for sure, and guess what, everyone takes the car/bus/train/tram everywhere.

0|0
    0|0
  • I live in the USA and yes I do think that there is a problem with obesity. I wished people would stop going out to eat at fast food so much, and instead just learn to eat fruits and veggies at home (like I do).

0|1
    0|0
  • In the Philippines (where I've been living), no... Generally, there are more poor/starving people here.

In the USA (where I was born), probably... It seems to be a "growing" problem.

1|1
    0|0
  • It is becoming a thing in cities. I'm fortunately from an upper class family so I'm quite surprised with chubby or fat people. But I think it isn't as much of a problem as the millions of people who still can't eat and the children on streets that are starving.

0|0
    0|0
    • Extremely many people in my country regardless if they're rich, middle-class or poor easily are overweight in different degrees. Especially the elderly. The young people are much better at keeping themselves fit because of beauty standards and a gym trend.

• Show All
    • People from urban areas in your country may be more influenced by the Western beauty standards and culture.

• Yeah especially my peers are.

• Spain. 39,3% overweight and 21,6% obesity. I think is not at bad as other countries but still is somehow high. To a certain extent is a problem and is getting worse for kids. Despite the arrival of American fast food, I would say that in case of adults either they had bad habits since they were kids and keep them or eat too much outside home (is very common here to do a lot of outdoor life eating at bars and people end eating more than necessary), while kids problem is that are too picky and don't follow the Mediterranean diet, and parents are either too busy or too lazy to take care of their kids properly and let them eat whatever they want and don't make them eat more fruits and vegetables or do any sport.

0|1
    0|0
  • Being in the u. s., yeah

So many people rely on fast food crap.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think it is a big problem. German People get fatter and wider.

1|1
    0|0
  • 25.1 96 in the world in Greece though there an island they eat foods not the healthiest, smoke , drink yet they live to 100 at least.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't go so far as to say extreme but there is a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • I live in the USA soooo... Need I say more?

1|3
    0|0
  • Yes it’s extreme in the u. s.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not American

0|0
    0|0
  • My country definitely does got a obesity problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah everyone is super fat and they think I'm anorexic or supermodel skinny but I am actually overweight for my height and have definitely seen skinnier

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, fast foods is no-no.

1|2
    0|0
  • Yes espicially among the black community

0|1
    1|0
    • From my experience white Nordic people gains weight much easier than many Africans and Asians in general speaking. Many of the blacks, South-Americans etc. I've seen being overweight are often mixed with the Nordics. I may be very wrong, but again; its just from my experience and what I've noticed.

• Probably true but the statistics don't lie.

• I definitely think it is, even though there's quite rare to see a obese person (well, besides from me anyway.)
    Obesity shouldn't be here at all, or in any countries.
    I hope it will become less common in the future.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• On the left is the world's fattest man, in 1903.
    images-cdn.9gag. com/photo/aArQxog_700b. jpg

On the right is a Brooklyn police officer. People's answers seem fixated on their own countries but I am pretty sure we're going on about America and by proxy the West in general. "maybe we should just accept dem!!!111" yeah because I want to be accepted and not become not-fat.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes in Canada according to the stats it is kind of a problem especially among the children and teens. I live In one of the big cities and I can't say I really notice that it's too extreme. I see very few morbidly obese around but maybe they are just not around, a lot people slightly overweight, the majority looks good.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have friend who is obese 3 class i am normal close underweight he eat like 2 burgers 2 cake 1liter soda its just for morning for night eat 2 big pizza i tell him to stop but i can't he is insane heavy even dont wanna leave hause... i am only one who buy health things ffs

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont know at what obesity place is my country but i definetly see more and more fat young girls and guys then like 10 years before

and its becoming a problem , yes it is

0|0
    0|0
  • yes in the U. S we do have a obesity problem and when confronting someone with it they get offended which is understandable but they don't really try to change

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think Britain has too much of a problem.

The people I see everyday aren't fat.
    I'll occasionally see an overweight person but it's not as bad as other countries.

0|0
    0|0
  • The USA ranks 12th in obesity. I'd say that's a big, fat problem !!

1|0
    0|0
  • It could be more of a problem than it's not. However, it could be more appropriate to say health is a problem more than obesity, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • UK is known as the fat man of Europe, let that sink in while knowing many other European nations are already fat ;-;.

0|0
    0|0
  • I live in America, so I think you'll know what my answer is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep. The USA is one of the fattest countries in the world.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's growing but there are more malnourished and starving people in my place.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, my understanding the only country with higher obesity is Mexico

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a huge problem. I can't even find a date on apps where people aren't cows.

0|0
    0|0
  • Finland has a problem with obesity. A fourth of all adults are overweight.

0|0
    0|0
  • lol, i don't even think that's debateable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ya lot of obese people at my school

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is

0|0
    0|0
  • It's yuuuuggggeeeee in the USA.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Extreme. America.

Pretty simple.

0|0
    0|0
    • How many percentage of the Americans are overweight?

• Show All
    • @curiousnorway But I like very white and blonde girls a lot.

• @UncleJessieRabbit, there are many Norwegians who are slim before they hit 40, so you can still find someone.

• Yes, 60% of the Flemish people are overweight.

0|0
    0|0
    • Whats even worse is they think its normal.

• People in my country also think being overweight is normal. It's because of it's very common. After you hit 45 years old you can expect to gain a hell a lot of weight. Almost everyone over 50, especially 60, are overweight. You looks very rare and exotic if you don't.

There's an advantage with it though for people who've "phobia" for wrinkles. Nordic people tends to be wrinkled very fast and faster than some Africans, Asians etc. groups, so being overweight may delay the wrinkles 5 - 10 years.

• Well the thing is people eat like pigs and do not take care of themselves and eat fast food but also like in my situation I have lost weight and gained it back numerous times I have done so many different kinds of diets but as son as I start eating like a normal person again instead of starving myself the weight comes back some of us just have that kind of body and it cannot be blamed on that we overeat constantly because I have gone to bed suffering hungry many nights to try to stick to a diet it all comes down to someone's body

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes