Is this an accurate representation of tourettes syndrome?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Ehh yes and no. About 2% of people with tourettes have such symptoms. I have tourettes and have never had tics like that. Sometimes I sniffle or have muscle contractions, but something like this was never an issue for me. It's accurate to say "this is an accurate representation of a minority of people with tourettes". When I describe it to people I use the analogy of a mosquito bite. When you get a mosquito bite it itches and is uncomfortable. You want to scratch it and almost feel compelled to do so. You can resist the urge to scratch it but it's difficult. You'll inevitably give in and scratch it, but scratching it will only make you want to scratch it more. If you resist scratching the itchy sensation grows in intensity, and when you finally give in you need to scratch harder to satisfy the itch. In my experience it's a lot like that. I get an uncomfortable sensation in different parts of my body and doing certain things helps alleviate the sensation. I can conscientiously resist but doing so intensifies the sensation, which requires a stronger action to make the unpleasant feeling go away. Sniffling or muscle contractions make the sensation go away temporarily, but it comes back after a short while. I'm curious if others with tourettes would describe it the same way, but I've never met enough people with it to get good data.

0|0
    1|0
  • Lol no

0|0
    0|0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes