I suspect I'm lactose intolerant, any tips/advice?

Is it even possible to suddenly become lactose intolerant? Because these last few months anything dairy just won't stay inside of me (sorry for the visual). Any lactose intolerant tips out there, is their certain dairy products I will be able to eat/drink ever?

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Sorry for the length of me reply. lol 😊

First off, I'm lactose intolerant too. lol 😊 I'm not sure if it comes on suddenly, but usually gradually over time, and others have been lactose intolerant all their lives.

I seemed to always have it, but only sporadically, even though I always ate lots of dairy growing up. But it wasn't until I got into my 20s that things changed and began to get really bad. As you know, the symptoms can be awful. For me, it almost got to the point of where I had to plan what I was doing and if there were bathrooms nearby. 🙁 The crazy thing is that I was never really properly diagnosed until my early thirties! For the longest time I thought it was caffein, so I cut that out. Eventually, I reintroduced tea and other caffeinated things into my diet and it became apparent it was dairy that was causing the problem.

However, the good news is being lactose intolerant doesn't have to be a curse! 🙂 There are many over-the-counter lactase (anti-lactose) products out there that can help you have a normal diet and allow you to eat whatever you like. 🙂

I'm not sure if you're in North America, but one of the most popular brands here Lactaid. There is also another brand called Lacteeze here in Canada as well. There are other brands as well, but those seem to be the most common.

One thing you'll have to keep in mind is that each lactose intolerant person is different and whatever brand or product works for them seems to vary as well, so it may take some trial and error to find the one that works best for you. But it's worth the wait and the hassle though!

Also, the timing of taking the product before eating dairy is key as well. Be sure to read and follow the directions and follow it carefully. Most products instruct you to take 1-2 pills before eating. But the timing of taking them can vary by product and it can vary from person to person as well, so the timing may need to be adjusted for what suits you.

For instance, with Lactaid (which I no longer use), I found that if I took a pill, I had to start eating the dairy product within one minute of taking the pill, or else it wouldn't be as effective. Whereas, the product I take now, I usually wait about 2-3 minutes after taking the pill (s) before eating dairy. It's usually about a 1-5 minute window, depending on the product and how effective it is for a given person.

I have tried just about all the major brands out there, including Lactaid and Lacteeze, as well as several others, but the one I settled on and the one that works best for me is a product called Kirkland Signature Fast Acting Lactase (see link below):

www.ebay.com/.../333055484676

I HIGHLY recommend it and it seems to consistently get some of the best reviews online. It is the best lactase product I have ever used and the best thing is that it's one of the cheapest too! 😳😄

The Kirkland brand can be found in Costco stores, but you can order it on eBay, which is where I get it (I don't have a Costco membership). If you look on eBay, you can get it in boxes of 180, but I usually get an order of two 180 count boxes. That usually does me for about 10-12 months. 🙂 But that will also depend on how much dairy you eat as well.

The best thing though, is that I can eat whatever I want now! 😄 I eat all the things I used to eat like cheese, ice cream, etc., but now I have WAY less symptoms. There is the rare occasion where I still get a very minor symptom, but it is rare and not anywhere as severe as what it used to be. But now I can live a normal life and eat whatever I want without any worries or discomfort. 🙂

I highly recommend trying the Kirkland lactase first to start your symptom-free journey. Again, lactose intolerance doesn't have to be a curse! Find what works for you and you'll be able eat whatever you want! 😄

Hope this helps! All the best and take care! 🙂

• 4d

Thank you 😊💜

• 1d

Thanks for the MHO! 😊

• 22h

I'm just reading what I posted earlier, but there's something I forgot to mention about the Kirkland brand lactase I use...

Most times, I usually take two pills before eating dairy. Unless I'm eating something with little dairy in it, then I'll take one. You'll know instinctively to take two or only one soon enough. What I do is I chew the pills into a powder (they're easy to chew) and then drink a few mouthfuls of water to carry it into my stomach before I start eating. That way they are already ground up and ready to be fully activated as soon as they hit my stomach. Unlike swallowing them whole and waiting (or hoping) for them to fully dissolve before you start eating. That way it's a sure shot every time. 🙂

Most Helpful Girl

• There are pills you can take right before you eat dairy. Also nut milks or if you want milk try lactaid, a milk without lactose (it tastes really good but it's a bit expensive). You should be fine eating some cheeses, ice cream, and yogurt, but the types of dairy you can and can't eat depend on the person.