Did drinking as a child cause me brain damage?

I always hear stories how when I was 4 or 5 I got drunk and people always laugh about it and so did I but I recently realized just how screwed up that is. My parents weren’t abusive or anything I don’t think they really knew how wrong it was to let me drink. I think they only wanted me to have a sip but I liked it and kept drinking. And it wasn’t just once. I always liked the taste when I was little I didn’t understand that it was bad or harmful. now I have many different mental illnesses. For one I’m autistic , I also have severe depression, social anxiety etc. and I’m wondering if drinking/ getting drunk at that age could’ve caused or contributed to my mental issues. If anyone knows please I would really like to know

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I had my first drink of a pina colada with rum. It tasted really good. But I never got drunk. I would say for a young child of the age you mentioned wouldn't take much to get you intoxicated. I also believe that autism has a huge genetic component. You didn't mention how often this happened so it's hard to say for sure.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• My mom fed me with a good portion of red wine when I was 6 months old (the bottle was like the one with the berry juice - and it was dark - and we were camping out). Looking at my present condition, I can only assume that -if anything- it gave me a large boost... upwards.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Drink would damage the brain cells. So since you have severe depression, social anxiety etc, better you stop drinking. It will make you getting worst even more. You're still young. Eat and drink something healthy from now

0|0
    0|0
  • It most probably contributed. I'm no expert but drinking at a young age is not good.

Hope you get better though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Alcohol is not good for young minds.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes