Will the gynecologist break my hymen if it hasn’t broken yet?

I’ve never had sex or broken my hymen as far as I know, but have an appointment with an OBGYN next week. Will the internal exam break my hymen? If it does, it does. I’m just curious.
Updates:
4 d ago
I’m assuming he’s going to use the speculum. Would that actually break it?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I would be willing to bet your hymen is no longer there. If you have used tampons unless you are "one of those" your hymen is probably not sealed like you invision it is. In fact they can even look at any frayed ends of your hymen left at the entrance to your vagina. Also like someone else said speculums come in different sizes. They certainly are not going to force it. I think the less anxious your are the better for everyone all around.

0|0
    1|0
  • I doubt it will and even if it happens it's not a big deal. Usually the hymen naturally breaks down more or less in childhood. Your hymen can already be as someone who is not virgin. The hymen is a really bad indicator for virginity. If you are scared to break it just tell them that and they will let you know of the procedure and you will understand it's not so bad :)

0|0
    0|0
  • No it won’t , you just have to tell him you’re a virgin (but he / she would probably see it anyway, but tell them to be sure). They generally don’t use speculum on virgins

1|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

I didn't know there was another option. What else could they use other than the speculum?

• Show All
    • 4 d ago

@Just_a_human that’s what we’re taught in med school in my country, but yes, every country uses different guidelines so information can differ from a place to another. But there are many ways to get those cells without breaking it. There’s also a new test which detects HPV dna in the blood, but it’s used more in elderly women

• 4 d ago

Not in the blood sorry, in the cells 🤷🏻‍♀️

• it could do. they won’t purposely break it but it could break during the exam like you said. it depends if they use the speculum thingy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I'm already expecting it to be painful.

0|0
    0|0
  • No they shouldn't break it but let him/her know before hand

0|0
    0|0
  • I went to the OGBYN this week for the first time ever as a virgin (with no broken hymen)! The tool that is used cold, could feel it less than a tampon, she could not find my cervix. So she had to go for a bigger tool, which ended up being really painful... nothing was broken though. Just a warning... this is probably TMI but it’s better to be prepared beforehand just in case. When the dr does the pelvic exam they put a finger into your vagina, and with the other hand press down on your abdominal area... this part I was pretty uncomfortable with but I looked it up and it’s a common procedure

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes