Is it "normal" to never find long term happiness in life?

Normal as in being part of a standard today. Common. Or normal part of life. Or is it not?
Is it
"I will keep haunting you in your wakefulness and in your slumber 'till the day you perish!" - Depression
"Not if I drink you away with my 40%!" - Certain victims of depression
"You cannot run or hide forever! I will return. Just you wait." - Depression
  • Very much so
    Vote A
  • In some cases yes
    Vote B
  • It's not normal
    Vote C
  • It's abnormal / a sickness! It should not be
    Vote D
  • Other
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
7 d ago
Bump!

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Some people never find it.

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot of people never do.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• didn't see your abnormal option... id select that. there's always been hardship. When people live life in balance... w values... happy. Violate... unhappy. Some dint live long enough to find. Happy is a state of mind.

0|1
    0|0
  • This phenomenon arises because most people seek conditional happiness that is egoic. Anything conditional in a changing world cannot be long term. And anything that comes from the ego can never be satisfied.

Most people seek more and look to the future for happiness. In the mean time, they aren't living in the present moment (the only place you can live). Consistently looking for happiness in an imagined future will leave you unsatisfied and waiting for a happiness that can never arrive.

The other part of conditional happiness is that the mind labels all experiences and events as neutral, good, or bad. This means that your happiness will be determined by the good events or experiences, and your thought process will focus on those, while ignoring the others.

Are these really bad experiences, or have we just labelled them as such...

I believe happiness comes not from gain or excess, but subtraction and abundance. Not from living in an imagined future, but living in the present moment.

Imagine if one could become so present that they no longer labelled events as good, bad, or neutral. Imagine no longer having a mind that operated through conditional happiness...

This is part of the key, then another aspect would be the ceasing of compulsive thoughts and being in the state of No Mind / Mushin. Even that on its own has the potential to change your whole life.

If you want to know more, read the book 'Mindfulness in Plain English: 20th Anniversary Edition by Henepola Gunaratana' and 'The Power Of Now' by 'Ekhart Tolle'.

0|1
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

Can't think of anybody labeling starvation as a kid as a neutral or bad experience...

• 1 d ago

This is more about the everyday things people complain about or deem bad experiences, assuming their basic survival and security needs are taken care off.

However, if you want to go for extreme examples such as starvation, then take a look at a man called Viktor Frankl. Not only was he starved, but much worse. He was imprisoned in a concentration camp facing potential death every day of his life and still found happiness.

''As he saw in the camps, those who found meaning even in the most horrendous circumstances were far more resilient to suffering than those who did not. "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing," Frankl wrote in Man's Search for Meaning, "the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."''

• 1 d ago

Right.

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes