What happens if my kid has Aspergers?

Anonymous
My son is about to turn 8 and I have some growing concerns. My mother and my boyfriend's mother (both grandmas) have commented on it. My mum said she thinks he might be autistic but my mum's a hypochondriac who is obsessed with bragging about illnesses. Boyfriend's mum has said she thinks he has what my father has. My mum left my dad when I was a baby so I didn't grow up with him, but I visited often.
He's the kind of person that you know something is up with them after meeting them. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a child but back then Aspergers wasn't wildly known about. I've looked up symptoms online and they match him to a T. Laughing at weird inappropriate times, obsessively talking about one subject for months on end, doesn't clean himself or his house ever and avoids eye contact at all costs.
I've been homeschooling my son so I don't have a teacher to tell me what they think, and I don't have anyone to compare my son with. He has an obsession with talking about technology brands, just the names and the weird numbers and details, oh and cats. Everyone struggles to talk to him about anything without him changing it back to cats or what phone they have. I'm beginning to think that it's not a phase like kids go through and he is on the spectrum.
I don't have a clue what to do, my boyfriend is completely in denial because his nephew has really bad autism (actually diagnosed, can't speak, violent outbursts, etc.) and he hates anyone claiming to be autistic who isn't as bad as him.
I am terrified to do anything, like I don't want him to turn out like my dad who lives in the worst kept house I've ever seen and has no friends. I'm just crossing my fingers for ADHD, something I was diagnosed with as a kid. I feel like I don't have anyone to turn to because everyone else is either way too eager for it to be Aspergers or just refuses to admit it exists.
What happens if my kid has Aspergers?
4
4