What are some things you wished you knew before attempting to lose weight?

Whimzy
I've known for a while that my weight has become an issue, but it always seemed like I had more important things going on that needed my attention so I kept putting it off. Recently I decided to weigh myself and holy hell was that a kick in the rear! Both of my parents are severely overweight, and my mom's a diabetic, so the thought of turning out like them is terrifying.

In the past, I've tried reducing my calorie intake to 1500 a day with some success before holidays came around and I wound up slacking off on my diet. No real exercise changes were made at that time. This time around I've reduced my calorie intake to 1500 again and bought myself a smartwatch that tracks my steps, distance, and calories burned. I'm going to aim for at least 10,000 steps per day, with a walk each evening after work and some intermittent running/jogging. I also bought some weighted wrist/ankle cuffs, 1lb to start and 4lb to build up to.

Before anyone tries telling me that restricting my calorie intake is a bad idea, I'm not overly strict with it. It's more of a mental reminder to watch the calories I'm consuming and try to aim for 400 per meal, which leaves about 300 to spare for snack and wiggle room during meals.

If anyone would like to share their weight loss advice or mistakes they made, I'd appreciate it. My family doctor's unsolicited advice (when I wasn't even that overweight, mind) was to just turn to eating whole grain bread, water, and nothing else but fruit and veggies, but that's a recipe for disaster because I know I'll quit within a week.
2
2