Do you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

• Merry Christmas!
  • Happy Holidays!

3768

Most Helpful Guys

• I say Merry Christmas only to people that I know celebrate Christmas. If I don't know whether they do or not (including all strangers who I don't know), the only appropriate thing to say in my opinion is Happy Holidays. If you say Merry Christmas to someone who isn't Christian or who chooses not to celebrate Christmas for whatever reason, you make yourself look ignorant and/or inconsiderate and/or intentionally religiously intolerant.

• On the other hand, if someone is not Christian, and/or does not celebrate Christmas, and someone else says "Merry Christmas," to them, and they get all bent out of shape about it, then THEY are the ignorant ones because the overwhelming chance is that the person saying it has good intentions. So I think the moral of the story is that people should stop getting so crazy over words. Words are words... that's all they are. If you can't handle words, it's YOUR problem, and you need to look at yourself and figure out what YOU need to change about YOURSELF.

• I feel you should only say Merry Christmas on Christmas day. Saying it every other day makes it seem like it's the only holiday that matters.
    Nobody says happy Thanksgiving all month, just on the day. Nobody says happy birthday all month, just on the day.

• I guess you only put your Christmas tree up on Christmas day too right? You do know everyone else has it up all month?

• I didn't decorate, my parents did. I don't give a flying fuck about holidays, it's not like I get holiday pay anyways.

Most Helpful Girls

• Both, and also Season's greetings.

What many people don't understand is that Happy Holidays is Christian in origin. There are many dates between November 1 and January 31st that are celebrated by various Christians, or used to be in the past. And there is the whole Advent season on top of that. People who gripe about "Happy Holidays" don't know much about the liturgical calendar, or how Christians celebrate outside the US.

• I voted A. However, I say both. But, I say Merry Christmas more because I try to say the phrase I think they'll appreciate more. Like if I know the person is Jewish, it's kinda disrespectful to tell them Merry Christmas maybe. If I know they're Christian, especially learning more conservative (they tend to get offended more), I'll say Merry Christmas. It's really easy to be respectful and I don't know why people make a big deal about holiday greetings. Would y'all rather I say fuck off? Because I can lol

What Guys Said 66

• I wish I could say Merry Christmas, but not everyone celebrates it, so I only say it to family and friends who I know do celebrate it.

I don't say Happy Holidays to avoid being offensive or insensitive, but to be respectful of other peoples' holiday traditions.

• depends who i'm talking to. if i know people celebrate Christmas i say merry Christmas. if i know people celebrate something else i say happy holidays or happy [what they celebrate] and i don't know what they celebrate i stick to happy holidays

• It's Merry Christmas.
    I am not religious, I simply live in western society and therefore get time off work for Christmas. Not Hanuka or Kwanzaa (which are the only other two holidays in December.)
    We are given Christmas holidays. Anyone who complains about that should be forced to work the entire "holiday" since it is apparently an issue for them.

• Dude, most people that have off on Christmas vacation but don't celebrate it do try to work during it. What rock you living under? Even 100% Christian celebrators of it often work cause it's 2018 and the cash is needed. The argument you make also makes no sense because there are years when hannukah and kwanza ARE during the weeks we have off for Christmas. I can understand for a day or two as that's about the only time Christmas actually lasts. Besides that, it's just before and after. I'm not complaining either as you can say what you want, BUT, I can say what I want. And what I want sir, is to wish you a nice happy and sinful Hail Satan month! As I can say I believe this whole month belongs to Satan and a celebration of how amazing she is, so therefore, I am more than allowed to wish everyone a good "HAIL SATAN" month whether they celebrate it or not :D

• @errorgoodnameunfound It's a statutory holiday in Andorra, Albania, Austria, Australia, Barbados, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bermuda, Brazil, The Bahamas, Canada, Congo Democratic Republic, Switzerland, Colombia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Spain, Finland, Faroe Islands, France, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greenland, Equatorial Guinea, Guatemala, Haiti, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, India, Iceland, Jamaica, Kenya, South Korea, Cayman Islands, Liechtenstein, Sri Lanka, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Monaco, Moldova, Macedonia, Republic of, Macau, Malta, Mexico, Malaysia, Nigeria, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Pakistan, Poland, Puerto Rico, Portugal, Paraguay, Romania, Sweden, Singapore, Slovakia, San Marino, El Salvador, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tanzania, United States, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Vietnam, South Africa, as well as the Holy See (Vatican City). So although companies aren't "forced" through legislation, they are pressured to comply too social standards. (unless they are essential businesses and then employees are paid holiday pay because it's considered time you shouldn't be at work.)

* I don't know many Muslims who would eat Sausage.

Saying Merry Christmas isn't shoving Jesus down anyone's throat. I am an atheist, I say Merry Christmas because it's a commercial holiday named after an old Christian celebration, which was stolen from an old pagan celebration.
      I barely ever see Jesus in Christmas, and when you do its a simple feel-good Christmas songs which are no different than saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes. It doesn't mean anything anymore, it's merely a social convention.

If someone says happy Hanuka or happy holidays, no one cares. It's when someone tells people they can't say Merry Christmas that makes people angry. If you want to say "happy Fuck I don't care day" do it, just don't be a bitch when I say Merry Christmas.

• I'm not complaining about people saying "Merry Christmas", but I have no obligation to say it either. Idgaf about social standards. No issue if I'm acting within law. These "social standards" you speak of actually often break laws. That's why people putting shit like jesus and mary in front of taxes payed areas get sued. It's everyone's taxes, not just a select few, so anyone who pays it has a say. Same for schools or any public area. I could have been an ass and gotten a lawsuit going against my high school for playing music that obviously was promoting Christianity. I didn't. But, when something happens like a statue of Satan being put near the ten commandments on public property like a town hall, I expect no complaints. Problem is, there often are, but they always should lose because at least in America, there's separation of church and state and that is law, for every state, like it or not. Plenty of Jews and Muslims would eat sausage if they had a secular side I am sure. Not all are gonna be super religious. I just said the thing about hannukah and kwanza being popular out of annoyance of the "christ down the throat" thing because it was fact more so long ago. Today not as much. I'm all for people saying what they want. Or not saying what they don't Which is why I will wish you a late Happy Hannukah and a Happy Hail Satan month whether you celebrate either or not :) Any complaints are just hypocrisy.

• Merry Christmas. Political Correctness can kiss my lily white ass.
    Obama said, Happy Holidays
    Trump says, Merry Christmas.

• Merry Christmas.
    Last night I watched the Little Big Shots "Holiday Special", and Steve Harvey ended by saying: "Happy holidays and have a wonderful New Year." If you're going to say "Happy New Year", you don't say "Happy holidays" because New Years is included. You say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". I thought the "war on Christmas" was over. (Not on NBC.)

• I live in London. A highly multicultural city. Simply because I don’t want a discussion along the lines of.

Me: Merry Christmas
    Other: I don’t celebrate Christmas.

I’m more of happy festive period and leave the interaction type of person.

• There should be a rule for all down votes to question answers. What have I got wrong? Educate me

• Neither. I really don't wish people over the holidays. If they wish me, I say "Thanks, you too.". That's it.

• Edward profile picture. Hmmm... seems appropriate.

Rosé Thomas: Oh, merciful God, please hear me, hear my prayer, I beg of you. Please bring him back.
      Edward: So this is the almighty Leto…?
      Rosé: Welcome, are you interested in Letoism?
      Edward: Nope, can’t say I am. Not really the religious type.
      Rosé: Well, I’m sorry to hear that… To know God is to know hope… If we believe in divine grace, and through him all things are possible… If you believe… I’m sure Leto would bless you and make you grow taller!
      Edward [sounding furious]: What’s that supposed to mean?
      Alphonse: Easy, brother! She’s just trying to help!
      Edward: What about bringing the dead back to life? Do you believe that’s possible too?
      Rosé: Yes.
      Edward: [pulls out a notebook and opens it] Water: 35 Liters, carbon: 20 kilograms, ammonia: 4 Liters, lime: 1.5 kilograms, phosphorus: 800 grams, salt: 250 grams, saltpeter: 100 grams, and various other trace elements...
      Rosé [completely baffled]: ... huh?
      Edward: That list represents the complete chemical makeup of a human body for the average adult. It's been calculated to the last microgram, but still there has never been one reported case of successfully creating a human life. And you're telling me something modern science can't do, you can do with prayer?
      Rosé: Lift thy voice to God! And the prayers of the faithful shall be answered!
      Edward: Did I mention all those ingredients I read off? Down at the market, a kid could buy every one of them for the spare change in his pocket. As it turns out, humans are pretty cheap.
      Rosé: No, that's blasphemy!!! People are--! We're all children of God... created in his image!
      Edward: Heh. You have to understand, alchemists are scientists... We don't believe in unprovable concepts like creators or gods... We observe the physical laws that govern this world to try to learn the truth. It's ironic, really. That through the application of science, we have in many ways been given the power to play gods ourselves...

best quote

• @errorgoodnameunfound Well said. Although, my problem with Christmas doesn't have much to do with religion. Rather, I just think it's stupid for people to arbitrarily decide that because it is December 25th, that warrants being kinder to others than one might be on any other day. I'm also critical of the practice of gift giving because I consider it a "net loss" to all parties involved--unless you just don't reciprocate (which is generally frowned upon and won't earn you any gifts the next year).

• 100% agreed. I don't even do anything for my own birthday usually. I don't see any point of any day in which gifts are "expected" as one should be free to give gifts when they can afford or feel like it. I do try to reciprocate, but I try not to expect. On the kindness thing, yah, the "kinder cause it's christmas" thing is BS as one shouldn't be an ass any day ever. It's basic courtesy.

• Well here it is Glædelig Jul
    So we don't really have the conflict between secularisation and tradition
    That being said I try to avoid it as I dislike Christmas

• Merry Christmas generally,. but when in the company of others that celebrate other holidays this time of year, I will ad "And Happy Holidays"

• it's just courtesy And meets my ethical standards in being a good person.

• I don't exchange holiday greetings or almost any greetings, but if someone says, "Happy Holidays" to me, I always respond "Merry Christmas."

• Cool. If anyone tells me "Merry Christmas" I just respond "Thanks! Happy Hannukah and Happy Hail Satan Month!" :)

• fuck yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah \m/

• Both tbh depending on if the person celebrates Christmas or not, because I don't want to be offensive

• Neither, Happy Christmas is what's normally said in Ireland. But creeping Americanisms always seem to leech in somehow. That "Happy Holidays" is meaningless tripe in my book.

• I will always say Merry Christmas. And if I am writing it I will not write Merry X mass.. Some things in my book are not right.

• merry fucking Christmas.
    hope you're gonna do better than me because i'm just going to be lonely af.

• I've traveled in Muslim countries where the clerics warned Muslims not to wish your Christian friends Merry Christmas or Rest in Peace.

• I guess it's probably a mish-mash of both. I don't think much about it and I'm not opposed to saying happy Haunakah or happy Kwanzaa.

• Happy holidays. I don't celebrate Christmas unless I'm with family, and I like to include everyone's holidays.

• I always say Happy Holidays cause some people
    like myself have loss many relatives and nope
    i won't be having a Merry Christmas.

• Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays is just an another neo Marxist ideological proposition!

• NO! Happy Hannukah! "Merry Christmas" is just another idolatrous, capitalist ideological proposition! A late happy hannukah to you Tron5678!

• Thanks! Same! And a late Happy Hannukah to you! Chag Sameach! This was fun XD

• Likewise :)

• Both cuz yes there is a lot of people who dobt celebrate it

But then there the ultra people who talk Christmas overboard

• ever since harry potter i've always said happy Christmas

• Ever since I decided Satan was kinda cool, I have wished people a "Happy Hail Satan Month" every December including you! Happy Hail Satan Month Friend! :D HAIL SATAN :)

• @errorgoodnameunfound it's just as believable as christianity.

• HAHA! YUP! Nailed it like Jesus boy! :D

• Happy holidays since i don't care about Christmas i am just happy it's a holiday.

• Merry Christmas, especially if they say happy holidays first. 😁

• Merry Christmas, but sometimes Happy Holidays in addition.

• the right way is Merry Christmas, the other way is because they don't want to commit to is being Jesus Birthday.

• "Frohe Weihnachten", which is the german equivalent to Merry Christmas

• Usually merry Christmas unless I’m not sure if they celebrate it then I say happy holidays

• It's merry Christmas. We're celebreting Christmas, not holidays or winter or whatever.

• No. It's happy hannukah. Idc if you aren't Jewish, Imma tell ya happy hannukah and maybe a hebrew phrase or two, giving no shits whether you understand em or not! I may also say Happy Hail Satan Month as that's also part of my beliefs. So to you my friend A late Happy Hannukah, Chag Sameach, and a Happy Hail Satan Month :)

• Guess so. You're seem like dumbass but you too still have right to speak :)

• Happy Hail Satan Month dumbass :)

• Merry Christmas! Except to my religious but non-Christian friends, then it's "Happy Holidays!"

• Merry Christmas. I don’t see the point in saying “Happy Holidays”.

• A late Happy Hannukah and Happy Hail Satan Month. Same. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• @errorgoodnameunfound everything else you wrote is completely irrelevant to the conversation. I likely know more about WWII history than any person on this site—period.

• I could say I likely know more about history in general than any person on this site. Does that make it any more true than your statement? You goyim sure are dumb sometimes. No wonder us Jews dominate you despite being so few xD

• Show more from Guys
    36

What Girls Said 35

• Depends on who I’m speaking with. Since I celebrate Christmas to my closest Christian friends I’ll most often say merry Christmas but when speaking with my Jewish Friends, ill wish them a happy Chanukah to random people I’ll default to happy holidays.

• I say Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, but I say Happy New Year here in my home since I am Muslim myself and I live in a Muslim majority country.

• Well, as a Christian, I find it really weird to say anything but “Merry Christmas.” I love Christmas. 😊

• Yah. I can see that. I mean, as a Satanist, it's weird if I say anything else besides "Happy Hail Satan Month" I love Satan :)

• Hail Satan Month? 😬😮

• Yah. Satanists can do any holiday or "un holiday" they wish. I created that holiday literally a few hours ago. But why shouldn't I have the right to celebrate it as I wish? Same with being a pastafarian, the woship of his noodly goodness, the flying spaghetti monster. "With Him all things are pasta-bowl. Provherbs 3:5" This vid explains the concept well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOu4-8s7eF8

• Christmas Time: Merry Christmas
    new Years: Happy Holidays or happy New year, dear. xxoo

• If I know the person and they believe in Jesus, I say Merry Christmas. If I don't know the person, I say Happy Holidays.
    Happy Holidays! (•‿•)

• I usually say Merry Christmas but sometimes I say Happy Holidays like when it’s before Thanksgiving and I want to cover them all at once like “hello I hope you have a happy everything!”

• We live in a Christian society with a Christian majority who are culturally Christian. I say merry Christmas, obviously.

• Christians are super annoying

• @MidnightCowboy So agreed. In Israel, there is literally a star of fuckin david on the flag and NOBODY EVER says shit like "there's a war on saying happy sukkot!" Fuckin stupid of christians to make it such a big deal. If they tell me merry Christmas, i respond happy hannukah. Or happy hail Satan month. If they get mad, good. Let em.

• Woman, you do. Half the world doesn't. From what I know, Canada does not have defined rules of separation between church and state like the US does. And I'm hella thankful it's a thing to hold up against the fiercely attempted fundamentalism of the US, cause in the end of the day, no matter how strong Christianity has a role, law is law and must be obeyed. Now if you mean the world at large that is a lie, as most of the world is anything but Christian. Islam is also set to surpass it soon too, but arguably, I can see general non affiliation pass both within as soon as 5 years if it's technically not already. Now I will end this by saying this. Just like ya don't give a fuck about other beliefs, IDGAF about yours, so a late Happy Hannukah and Hail Satan Month to you mam! :D

• It's always been Happy Christmas to me but I've no doubt that happy holiday is this multicultural, politically correct world!

• It depends on who I’m talking to, and if they celebrate Christmas.

• I guess I say both. Merry Christmas to familiar friends/family and HaPpY Holidays to people i dont know as well.🌲♥️🌲♥️

• Well, isn't Merry Christmas only for Christmas Eve and the day of Christmas? I don't know, I always found it confusing
    I say happy hols ☺

• I say Holidays because New Years is a thing reguardless what religious holiday (s) you celebratr

• I say "happy christmas" and then if they say I don't celebrate that, then I'll ask them what do I say, and then greet them accordingly

• Happy Holidays not everyone celebrates Christmas just being courteous...

• Depends on whether or not I know the person celebrates Christmas.

• happy holidays.
    I dont celebrate Christmas so I've been saying happy holidays my whole life lol

• merry Christmas. its a habit. even my muslims friends say it out of habit. isn't a big deal unless ur a staunch christian.

• I say Merry Christmas. Happy holidays is for a summer vaction.

• I agree. Except I worship the flying spaghetti monster, so I say "Happy Hail Satan Month" every December as that's how long the holiday lasts in my belief :) Gotta hate all this "happy holiday" bs. Much rather wish the joy of satans wrath upon everyone during the winter season :)

• @errorgoodnameunfound hail Hitler if you want I dont care lol.
      Merry Christmas hun xox

• Just giving a stern constitutional check/trolling to people. See who's a hypocrite and who isn't. Happy Hail Satan Month to you mam. :) #ItsOKtosayHailSatan

• Neither

• neither one

• Here in the UK it's traditionally Merry Christmas.

• Happy holidays

• I use them interchangably

• Happy Holidays mostly

• merry christymassy

• I say merry Christmas

• Merry chrysler

• Usually happy holidays.

• I use both and say happy holidays at work

• I say Happy Hanukkah & happy Kwanzaa. 👌🏾

• Show more from Girls
    5