1 mo

Have you ever been disappointed by a Christmas gift?

OlderAndWiser u
I didn't date during my first year of law school. I was a dedicated student and wanted to do well. In the fall of my second year, I started dating. I was 29 years old at that time and I met an undergraduate (Interior Design major) who was around my age. She had been born in Colombia, suffered some malnutrition, been placed in an orphanage, and eventually adopted by an American couple. The lady was nice but a bit strange and she never really got attached to me. Nonetheless, we dated exclusively for about 5 months before it ended.

At Christmas, we had been dating for four months. I didn't have tons of cash but I wanted to get her a nice gift, so I purchased a pair of leaded crystal candlesticks for her.
They matched her decorating taste and looked nice on her dining room table. We weren't together on Christmas Day but, when I returned, we exchanged gifts. She appeared to be happy with what I gave her.

It was then my turn to open her gift for me.
This is a ceramic duck with a lint brush on the bottom. It was sold as a trinket in Walgreens and other drug stores. I already had a lint brush, which she should have known because she had spent the night at my apartment on several occasions and my lint brush rested on top of my dresser, quite visible. I was not bothered by the price of the item because I know that she had even less money than I did, but I was shocked by the lack of thought that she had put into her Christmas shopping for me.

It was as if she had been in Walgreen's to pick up a prescription, saw this on the shelf, picked it up and said, "Oh, now I don't need to do any Christmas shopping for YoungerAndStupider." A nice, home cooked meal would have been much nicer and much more appreciated. I tried hard to hide my surprise!

Have you ever been surprised by a gift that was simply inappropriate or reflected a lack of thought or caring about finding you something appropriate?
I have been disappointed when I received no gift from someone who I thought would have a gift for me!
I have been disappointed when I received a gift that was clearly very inexpensive.
I have been disappointed when I received a gift that had been chosen with no consideration of what I might want.
Vote C
I have been disappointed when I received a gift that was simply too stupid to believe!
Vote D
I never have expectations so I am never disappointed!
Vote E
Other (please explain
Vote F
GirlGuy
13
14