Do I really look obese?

Do I really look obese?
I'm posting this so maybe some of you younger girls will realize that you're really NOT fat at all, even though I totally remember being in your shoes and obsessing over every millimeter of my body. I wish I'd relaxed and enjoyed my teens and early twenties instead of worrying all the time.

Anyway, I'm 5'5" and 188 lbs. I never planned to look this way. It just happened as a result of working at a desk job, being tired and stressed, not exercising enough and eating junk to make myself feel better. I eat healthy food, too, but I eat too much other stuff on top of it.

(these are my work clothes so yeah... not sexy)

However, when the BMI app said "YOU'RE OBESE" it was a bit of a shock. In caps. It shouted at me!

I know I'm overweight, but, really?

1932

Most Helpful Guy

• You're not fat. You're internet fat, when compared to all of the perfect bodied people on here that somehow are looked at as the majority even though they only represent a very small amount of the population

I'd date you

Most Helpful Girl

• Obese, no.
    Overweight, yes.

BMI's aren't accurate because everyones body structure is different.

What Guys Said 31

• Many people are in the same boat... the BMI telling you how it is. And it's probably a good thing. Wouldn't you rather it tell you something to actually motivate you or just say your "chubby" so you think it'll be ok. The BMI machine telling me what it did is why I decided to make a lifestyle change. Eat better, exercise a lot more, and take control. Now I look better, feel SO much better, and I can say screw you BMI.
    Anyhow... it looks like you need to make some changes. Not for the BMI machine, but for yourself. You know you need to, you know you want to, and now it's all just a matter of doing the hard part.
    It's funny how hard it can be until you've gotten where you want to be... and at that point, it won't seem like it was hard at all... because you'll have made a lifestyle change. And that's a good thing.
    I wish you the best of luck down that road. Just remember... exercise is something that you NEVER regret after you've done it.

• OBESE, is a exaggeration maybe do some cardio and switch to a more vegi and fruit diet along with drinking more water. Give it a while as cells are getting use to the change in diet and exercise and if its done right results should be noticeable with a slight increase in metabolism.(Note: Fast metabolisms are not bad that you can eat more its bad if its a extreme, so eating more than usual is common if you exercise and can hit like a hail as your body is actually looking for food rather than just absorbing food.)

• obese is the wrong word

• This is a really shitty picture, so I can't tell
    How you look, but fringe obesity doesn't make you unattractive (though loosing wait when your obese tends to make you more so). The important thing is that if your obese you walk/etc. 30 minute a day. If not, you have a VERY high change of premature death. Walking less than 30 minutes a day is worse for your heart than being obese, im terms of how well it predicts early death.

• Fat yes
    Obese no

• I don't think you are even fat.. Some work on your stomach and I believe you would look pretty damn attractive.

• *blank stare into comments*

You are obese. Don't deny it.

• Lol... It's okay. I guess I think of Wal-Mart people when I hear the word "obese."

• Not obese but definitely overweight which is bad. :(

• @thisdudejimmy Where do you think categorizations for overweight/obese first came from?

People have become accustomed to how one might appear within those categories but regardless, how one fits into the index is by the numbers. Not by appearance.

• Fuck yeah that's obese your BMI is obviously very high you have a very high body fat % based on that and at the worst you look very fat.

• I meant at best very fat.

• nah they are morbidly obese, they're going to die young or are one cake away from a heart attack. Just obese isn't healthy probably die younger (not much younger though) which is likely to be a heart attack.

• Yep obese

• No. Definitely not obese.

• There is a difference between obese and morbidly obese. But yes i would say you are slightly obese.

• Nowhere near obese
    You may not even be overweight
    Just high-end average

• How is this even a question? Obviously you're fat and your diet and lack of exercise plainly states why. If your bmi puts you in the obese category then yea you're in the obese category. And how is this supposed to make other fatties feel better? It's just making excuses for bad behavior and putting your health in serious danger.

• sexy girl yes of course (:

• Of course no, you seem curvy, thick woman
    I like that:)

• How old are you by the way

• Thanks... That's a very tactful way to put it.

• You dont need to thank. I just said the truth. Your body is good enough for me to want to date You :)

• Your a bit overweight tbh

• Clinical definition of Obesity is something way different than what the idea of it is in the modern politically correct society, especially in America.

• Yes. Sorry to tell you the hard truth. I don't want to be mean about it but definitely need to start exercising like hardcore! Trim down 80lbs and you'll looks amazing even at the beach with bikini.

No sugars
    No fatty foods
    Drinks lots of water
    Fruits and vegetables
    Vitamins
    WORKOUT!
    Small portions of food
    =
    You'll be breaking necks :)

• i've read stand up desks are the shit.

• you are a little chubby but I would not go as far as to say obese. pretty never the less

• Not particularly. But your clothes are accentuating your midriff. It looks unflattering.

• tes obese

• Obese? Not at all

• You're beautiful! I'd give anything for a cute girl like you! ^-^

• Dat ass

• ... is as big as a house

• I am not trying to be mean, but you should probably weigh closer to 130. That would put you about 58 pounds over weight. That is a lot. If you were to throw a 60 pound bag over your shoulder and walk around, you would have an idea about how much extra weight you are carrying around right now, and how it is effecting your current energy levels without your realizing it.

I am not they type to fat shame people, but a lot of the people on here are being flat out dishonest with you, in order to spare your feelings, or perhaps because they don't want to feel bad about their own weight.

• To be honest the last time I weighed 130 I was starving myself and working out like a maniac. I was sore, not good sore but bad sore, all the time. I was in constant pain. I will never do that to myself again.

If I could get down to 150 and be toned, I would be happy. It's not like anyone's dating me or trying to date me. Whatever I do I'm just doing for myself. Men ignore divorced woman. I'm "damaged goods" already so who cares if I eat a donut occasionally?

I appreciate the honesty.

• And, just to put it in perspective, my ex weighed 100 pounds more than me. I used to joke that he was carrying around a whole extra person. I'm carrying around the equivalent of the dog.

• honestly yes

• The BMI has already been deemed an outdated, incomplete and not valid scientific tool of measuring health or fitness. I really have no clue why doctors or anyone still looks at a BMI.

Bodybuilders also get classified as obese according to the BMI.

Yes you are overweight but clearly not "obese." I would say chubby or slightly fat.

• I actually think your body looks really attractive

• that butt is <3

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 18

• You're overweight, not obese.

I wouldn't worry. My BMI has always said I'm morbidly obese. Even when I was very muscled, lean, and in shape, I was apparently an enormous cow.

I don't pay any attention to BMI. It doesn't take into account muscle. Yeah I'm fat atm rather than fit but even when in my peak, I'm ready to be put down apparently.

BMI - Bullshit Measuring Indicator.

• I've heard the same thing from very muscled men. One guy said even his doctor was telling him he had to lose weight. He was like "WHAT? Are you kidding me?"

• Thing is, BMI was developed back in the days of the war and rations. People were shorter back then, food was in less supply. So the "normal" was smaller than the "normal" today. Body mass doesn't take into account so much - like, if you had a very wide framed person, and a very petite framed, both the same height the recommended BMI would look less odd on the smaller framed person.

It's a very barbaric and blinkered scale which I don't know why it's still so proudly used. I mean, we updated the typewriter, when is it BMI's turn?

• Your over weight obviously but bmi are so flipping wrong. I'm suppose to be 120lbs to be happy and even when I was skinny as hell I couldn't be. You basically just said you weren't healthy otherwise I would say that if your comfortable in your own skin rock it.

• You are braver then me, I'm 5'9" and holding at 205, took me 3 years to get down from 300+ and I'm 33... I won't be in photos as I don't want my photo taken... wasn't til earlier this week when a follower asked me why my photo was current (it is now) and I realized that hiding wasn't healthy so I took my current photo pic, and with your post I might be brave and appear in some photos... high five and rock your bod no matter the size!

• I think you are fine. And it's nice that you posted this. Have a great day

• No, I think you look great! That app is full of shit.

• Overweight not obese.

• Yeah sort of...
    Im sorry
    😁😁

• Just google obese people. And give yourself a break. And by the way I didn't mean Google obese people in a bad way as in comparing you do not look obese. If you are happy great! If not than just focus on slowly dieting and maybe gym for 15 min a day it's only 15 min! I lost weight by eating 1400 calories a day. And guess what I ate normally, pizza, burgers, steaks. It's very easy to go over calories like 1 big bag chips of lays is a full meal prep for the day! If I decided to eat bad it would be 4 slices of pizza (800 cal) than night time a wrap or a salad consisting of 600 cals or less! You can still have your junk just don't over do it

• I appreciate you.

• a focus of weight in the stomach is a sign of worry because visceral fat lining the organs can lead to dangerous health risks. you look overweight to me and not obese.

"in caps. it shouted at me!" that is the most endearing reaction lol

• I know, right? It needs a better bedside manner.

• OBESE? NO way. Don't give it a 2nd thought. Just relax :)

• Yes your fat

• Maybe a tad overweight but absolutely not obese

• You're fat, but not yet obese.

• Yes, obese is a medical term. It isn't a pretty one but that's what it is.

• You don't look overweight at all... I'm going to attribute your weight to muscle possibly? Are you an athlete? You could lose maybe ten pounds but you look great honestly.

• Haha.. No, I'm not. I just carry it well.

• Not obese, overweight though.

• You are overweight and the bmi is telling you that you are very overweight, it's not that hard to understand. You even admitted yourself that you do not eat healthy and you do not exercise as much