Women’s Day

#PressforProgress

Which is the greater stumbling block to women achieving equality in all aspects of society?

Which is the greater stumbling block to Women achieving equality in all aspects of Society?

• Men- who want to maintain the old where they were always above women
  • Women- who give rise to the old by empowering and facilitating it, ie, terms like 'slut' and upholding roles from the past
  • There already is Equality for women in society in all regards
    Vote C
LOL!

So hard responding to people when all are 'pink' seeing you dont know the gender bias they might have

4081

Most Helpful Girl

• It is nothing more than a difference in sex. The two sexes will never be equal, as they are complimentary. Of course, there should be equality in opportunities.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• in case of western society, women
    in case of countries where women are second class citizens and treated like property, men.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

What Girls Said 39

• Third wave feminists and the idea that every single little tiny thing a man can do a woman can do the exact same way. There's things men can do that woman also can but will struggle with. There's things woman can do that men will struggle with. Of course you get buff woman or more feminine men. But if you want true equality. Accept that we can all do the same stuff. But to different degrees. We are still biologically different for a reason. Different strengths and weaknesses.

• The goal is to work together. That achieves equality

• I love what @Marinite replied to another comment in here.
      I"ll write it so it Might ring a bell for you...
      "you are deaf, not because you cannot hear but because you choose not to listen. Namely, to the millions of complaints by women across the world. There can be no assumption of innocence. This is willful ignorance on your part"

• Who you talking to? 😂

• We have parts of the world where gendercide and dowry deaths and genital mutilation still happen. Extreme religious or cultural beliefs are a genuine threat to the well-being of females in these places.

I think that's what feminists should focus on instead of crucifying a guy for saying his name was "Hugh Mungus" or saying something lewd on Twitter.

• Feticide is a huge tragedy which rarely gets the coverage it deserves :(

• @chaz269 how you made it to 44 with such a gross lack of reading comprehension skills is beyond me.

I was merely offering a possible explanation as to why female genital mutilation might be higher up on people's radar than male genital mutilation is. In no way does that mean that I think it's healthy, that I'm for either, or that it's "my norm".

I don't know what part of my comment confused you, but before rereading you might want to take a cool shower or perform some breathing exercises, I wouldn't want you to have a stroke.

• but i think moronicide is worce.

• Liberation is one thing. But not all women want that. Most women who say they want equality just want power over males. Which isn't right. So in a sense it's the women that stop women from being a woman. Feminists always preach about this conspiracy to make sure they never get equality. Which we already have. They take the minds of the young and teach them to repeat what was repeated to them.

• Thats a lie. Shame on tou

• You accuse people of being blind, as if all anyone has to do is open their eyes to see some silly cartoon conspiracy to oppress men and claim victimhood. In truth, that is merely wishful thinking by people who don't care about women's issues in the first place.

But you are deaf, not because you cannot hear but because you choose not to listen. Namely, to the millions of complaints by women across the world. There can be no assumption of innocence. This is willful ignorance on your part. Some might call that a lie.

• Because most feminists are. There isn't much to complain about here. In other places yes. There are. We do care. That's one of the reasons women's day exists. But another reason is because there are to many "men's days". There's already equality here. No pay Gap. Women have the rights of a man. And not everybody accepts it. And not everybody will. That's just the way it is. Now if we're talking about Iran, that's different. What do you mean worldwide? We're talking about our society. We don't have a rape culture. And women haven't had any political issues that weren't fixed. It's not willful blindness. It's stating the world as it is. And if you don't see it that way, the maybe you're the one that's willfully blind.

• Why is it the perception that a woman desiring a traditional role in the House automatically not equal?

What even is equality?

Isn’t the freedom to choose what you want to do real equality?

• Equality isn't similarity, not even sure it should be. And I don't think the biggest issues we have in the US could be solved by "equality". It's more matters of the weakening of the individual in general. A "take what you can get, fuck everything" mentality from everyone. This comes from a lack of discernment and responsibility, not a lack of equality.

• The opportunity is there for all but we are too different to be fully equal. Some things are in our favor and some are I'm men's. So all we can do is work together using the strengths we have where we can.

• agree, but always seen the greatest enemy to woman, not men, rather fellow women

• “Gender bias”?
    Asker, I hope you know that the best people to ask about what’s really the biggest obstacle in achieving gender equality are women.

Men tend to say women overreact, that we’ve already achieved gender equality. Yes, legally we have in the most developed countries.

But you know in which area we’re really not doing well? In the social area. Men don’t respect women, they even call us “bitches” or “hoes”.
    1- Women aren’t taken seriously as authority figures (I know it doesn’t happen often but enough for it to be a problem)

2- Mansplaining is real. They use the fact that a woman is a woman to act in a patronizing way.

3- Men don’t notice the subtle aspects of what women go through. This is why they believe we’re overreacting. They don’t know what it’s like. Just because you live in the same world as us doesn’t mean you see every factor of our life.

(Cont)

• 4- Sexual harassment is a form of disagreement that perverts use to discourage a female to stop going out at night, wearing revealing clothing and having sex with whomever she wants. This happens, NOT because they’re horny; this happens because they are in DISAGREEMENT of a female’s behavior, often the pervert in question being highly sexist.

You say women talk in a biased manner about oppression? But they’re the best people to ask. Because they’re the ones facing oppression.

You should read the articles that trans women write. The transition from male to female.

• Agreed!

• Thanks :) there are very few people who actually have good education / good awareness of their surroundings here on GaG so I’m not surprised by the downvotes 😂

• I mean yeah we should be equal with men in terms of opportunities. But I'd love to see all of us women having went down an underground mine all these years ago, or run about fighting wars carrying massive guns on our backs - it just wouldn't end well. I mean, it's simple, we are biologically the weaker sex. And why people can't just accept that blatantly obvious fact I do not know.

I think feminists should try out doing all of these horrific, hard labouring jobs that men do, then we shall see if they still think we're capably of doing anything...

• I love you.

• Haha, thanks 😂 but seriously, it's so messed up. We should be showing more appreciation for the guys in the world who use their biological strengths to keep us all safe. It's admirable 😊. Sadly, I don't think men get any recognition at all these days... it's all female dominated as far as I can see.

• I would agree to a point 90% of women can't keep up in the morr physical jobs but that 10% causes a lot of problems the ones who push themselves so they can keep up with the men. By law women are borderline superior to men. And if you want to talk about society issues men have jist as much as women. Sure it might be more likely for a woman to get called a mean name but it is more likely for men to get assulted and killed for just one example... i prkbably should have jist put this in the comme ts not a reply but i didn't intend for this to go on for so long at first.

• Women who keep complaining that the only reason that they didn’t get the promotion or pay raise was because they were a woman. It’s empowering a baked in excuse for others to use.

• People who voted for C are utterly uneducated I can't even fathom living in their privileged worlds...
    It has always been closes to your A option. Once a certain group have power they will do anything to keep it because anything below privilege seems like repression to them.

• If equality has been achieved already, answer me this: why is my mother still expected to feed my father and clean the house (entirely by herself), when she works longer hours than him?

• Who expects that of her?

That sounds like a 17th century ideology or a religious family where women are viewed as servants in a way.

• @nauticalnomad oh he lives alright, he just doesn't do anything that he doesn't want to do.

• Honestly did not mean to offend. It's hard to give an opinion sometimes when we can't possibly know the whole story. I'm very glad to hear she does stand up for herself! That really sucks that he is still being such a dick about it. be
      I come from an abusive background myself, where I lived in terror of my father growing up. I also left an emotionally abusive man even though that meant years of financial ruin for me. It has taken a long time for me to learn to not accept abuse, from anyone. Please understand, this is the mental filter I saw your comment through, and by no means intended to shame your mother. No doubt, she does not deserve his treatment of her. But I'm thinking, that if she can do it, maybe she should leave him, if she is able to. Maybe she can't, I understand that too. My hope is that she can somehow find a way out of it, or that he wises up and shuts up.

• We should strive for equality of opportunity, which most west countries have. Women should be able, as men, to go after anything they want but we can’t expect the outcome to be equal. Especially not try and enforce equality of outcome since that will chip away on people’s freedom. The two genders are different so we can’t except every aspect of society to be equal.

One of the most toxic thing for western women is the women preaching the patriarchy. Then they will be raised thinking there is some patriarchal boogie man trying to stop them from achieving their best. This creating people “babying” them and giving them special treatment. Like some colleges only allowing woman clubs, woman being selected for their gender in stem field for diversity and having all their problems heightened.

This while male problems like men taking up 76% of suicide, 85% of the homeless, men are the majority victims of violent crime and the majority of sexual assault victims when including prison.

• In other cultures besides first-world countries, the biggest issue contributing to holding back women is religion.

• There already is equality for women in society in all regards

• I think they themselves are their own stumbling block. Every person can achieve success in all aspects in their life, they have to have the drive and determination to beat all the odds. Without this, you don't achieve (regardless of gender)

• It's not any of the things you listed. The biggest issue is that no one wants to define 'equality'. Equality is not there's equal spots allowed to women as there are to men. Equality is each gender adheres to the same standards outside of any anomalies. I should not get the same pay as a man just because I'm a woman. I should get the same pay because I do the same amount of work or more pay because I do more work.

Truthfully, I don't actually believe a lot of women are fighting for the idea of 'just because I'm a woman I deserve this!' I think it's being twisted like that to keep women down because we all know that's a childish mindset and not how you get what you want.

• I'm very wary to blame it on just one group. There's not only a symbiosis going on between us (men/women), but a constant flux of who benefits from what at a particular time. This creates a vacuum that slowly oscillates forward, but rotates around its own axis as it does.

As I keep reading, I see that a lot of women don't seem to *want* empowerment and are even busy exploiting the status quo. But I suspect that this comes from an intense and ubiquitous mistrust of feminism and what it really entails. In other words, a lot of us just don't have the information necessary to make a good decision.

• Agree on your point about ' a lot of women don't seem to *want* empowerment '

In many ways they uphold the old

• I voted for men but in general there's a lot of other aspects not to blame all men

• These people saying girls are equal to men need to realise america isn't the only country in the world , there is loads and loads of countries where women are not treated equal to men in.

• You need to realize there's other countries in the world where you're living a godlike life compared to them

Blah blah. People will always answer in relation to the place in which they know. Because they live there and experience it v and can't input actual value into a conversation.

Calm the fuck down

• seems like American women are moving backwards

• @villageidiot I don't know if they are.
      I never been to america so i can't share my pov about this matter

• While not neccesarily a stumbling block, a big part of the issue comes down to choice.

• C except there are still few things women don't have that men do.
    But likewise women have things men don't. So basically that.

• Your last name is butts? Hahahahahaha

• We actually can never know the real amount as a lot dont come out or the case isn't open and closed that easily. The numbers for men and women aren't that far off which does suggest that the unknown numbers could actually give surprising results. Either way, suffering is suffering.

• @livinglikelarry223
      In terms of society, men tend to creep on women in such manners. It's observable.

• misogynist woman haters, lazy kept woman and nonbelievers

• Sexist men and women are the problem. Not men or women, just sexist humans

• I agree, there are a lot of female misogynists out there.

• Oh? How so?

• I agree.

• this is the dumbest questions I've ever read with the dumbest options I've ever seen😧🤕

• So what do you think would be a better question?

• @ats934, she won't respond because she's an ignorant asshole moron.
      Anyone with a reasonably intelligent response would respond. Children, like her, will say shit like, "Nuh uh!" And continue to do so until they're blue in the face. No stats, no evidence, no argument, just empassioned and ignorant crap. Then she'll wonder why she doesn't rule the world.

• Ego.
    Too much my way or go thinking with no logical rationale.

• We are equal but not the same. By that i mean we have different areas where we gravitate to like in careers and life styles

• It's a little bit of A and a little bit of B. More of A though. Things like the wage gap can be attributed almost entirely to old timey sexism shaping a male-dominated leadership trends and it being harder to practically and ethically change that than it sounds. What are we supposed to do, take away people's fortunes? Take away men's jobs and give them to women? It doesn't work that way, and contrary to what bitter men on the net believe feminists know that. The idea of breaking the glass ceiling is complicated and the only ethical solutions take a lot of time even in a best case scenario.

Also, far more appaling than nearly 60% of people knowingly choosing to believe something that obviously isn't true is the gender divide on C. That's the kind of appalling ignorance that makes my male friends ashamed to be boys. And they don't deserve that! So shame on them instead!

• Not only have bias been shown to be unconcious making the op question's answers completely loaded, did you also know that Uber stats we're tested for bias in sexism in an economic study? They found that dispite the system being completely automated removing all personal bias there was still a gender pay gap. These were looked into and could be accounted for with 3 main factors. Men choose to work during harder peak times, men stay at the job longer and therefore develop skills at the trade which women lack because they leave sooner, and men drive an average of about 2mph faster allowing more pickups on average. These factors removed the gender pay gap.

• The long history of sexism in the workplace dating back the past 100 years or more would be the ultimate cause of the wage gap. It has simply not gone away yet since back in those days, and that can be blamed on the nature of the status quo, rather than an active, continuing effort to oppress women.

Good news though! Nobody wants to do a hostile takeover of men's jobs. The general gist of feminism's plan to break the glass ceiling is, as far as I can tell, to just encourage women to pursue greatness and wait. The idea is that if we give women the opportunity, eventually those high paying positions will eventually start to open up as time goes by and women will be in a position to compete for them. Over time, this should theoretically result in a leveling of the playing field. Unfortunately, we may be looking at many, many more decades before our wage gap starts to shrink to a level closer to more egalitarian countries. But it's the option we chose, because it's ethical.

• Plenty of people want equality of outcome, thankfully only a small minority. The idea that it would come about in a developed country any time soon is risible though. So don't worry, I'm not concerned. We didn't become great countries by following every short sighted, ideologically pigheaded, idea that comes out of people's mouths.

• 3rd wavers trying to achieve superiority.

• she gets it but also a little of A and B

• I'm anything but traditional, but I'm also submissive. I don't have a problem with a little bit of A personally, but I do have a problem with women judging other women on how they choose to live.

There's nothing wrong with traditional if that is what you like. I just don't like that there's a conceived "right and wrong" way to structure a relationship, and this notion that all of society should follow it.

• Out of these, A.

• More from Girls
    9

What Guys Said 80

• With apologies, I was unable to vote. Your alternatives are abstractions, and in some cases are simply implausible - use of the term "slut"? Really.

They lack any nuance or appreciation for the complex factors at work. Ironically, there is varying degrees of truth in both answer A and B. However, in terms of the United States, our culture is trailing the real facts.

Women are graduating from high school and college at much higher rates than men. More men die by murder and suicide. More men are in prison than women. The lifespan of men is declining for the first time in American history, women are living longer. Men's incomes are stagnating, women's are increasing. (Accounting for differences in tenure and experience, breaks for pregnancy, etc. the wage gap between men and women is all but gone.)

By the data, women in the United States are thriving and men are in trouble. Yet, contra the data, we persist with an outdated assumption that women are oppressed and in need of recognition just by virtue of the fact that they are women, rather than on the basis of what they have accomplished.

We play the fiddle while Rome burns. We have seen the effects of the afflictions impacting men - including more single mothers, increased rates of delinquency, rising drop out rates among boys, among much else.

All in all, we would be better off confronting the facts and dealing with them rather than making of fetish of who has a vagina and wallowing in self-pity.

• Apologizing, for no offense!!!
    Watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcGKxLJ4ZGI
    If a woman wants to be treated as an 'equal' in the "Male-dominated" world (laughs on that, more later!) She needs to be assertive, and not apologize for just being there, and doing normal things!!
    Men are not going to just give you 'equality', much like freedom from oppression (Interesting parallel there!!). Like Freedom, Equality must be TAKEN by women!! They need to assert themselves, and decide that they are equals, and not put up with the BS they just accept!!
    The women I have been with, that I liked the most, were the ones that took the initiative, and said what she wanted, and what restaurant she wanted to go to, and other things, more intimate things!
    I LOVE those confident women (even if they are totally terrified, inside, afraid to say what they want, but find a way!) as it is so refreshing!!

• I answered from where I am from... But there are a few places ( mosty third world) where women are struggling for their rights. And in South Africa alone the domestic abuse for black women is very high, rape is high in the squatter camps and the number of single mothers is really high...

• Anatomy is the ultimate limiting factor. Women have lower levels of testosterone, so they're naturally going to be weaker than men on average. You're probably going to never see a female in SEAL team Six or in the NFL. It may not be fair, but that's just how people are built.

• I think the biggest "stumbling block" would be that people can't see that there is a difference between fair and equal. Equal means that as a business owner I pay all employees the same amount. Fair is taking into account that one of my employees takes a 15 min smoke break every hour and another just sits around complaining about the work while another picks up the slack and takes as much overtime as they have to. So the first two get paid less and the last person gets paid more. Not every person works the same in every job. Some people are better trained or prepared for some jobs, or some people are just lazy and want more for less work. This has more to do with work ethic and efficiency than gender.

Things aren't perfect in the world
    and they probably never will be, but all of the people that just automatically fall back to swearing and trying to bully people into accepting their opinion won't ever make a positive difference. Those type of people are more harmful to positive change than ANYTHING else.

(Anyone that wants to just swear or yell at me or my opinion will be ignored. Intelligent questions or comments are very much welcomed though)

• In American society themselves. Also thier leadership skills. Most women don't know how to lead and instead are bosses. Usually with an agenda and a chip on thier shoulder. Granted some men are also like that but still.
    No mother should encourage thier daughter to wear a cunt hat or join in with any feminist group that goes pretty much naked and hates men. So far all feminist groups I have dealt with just hate men. They don't want to be equal but superior.

• Regardless of the brokeen heart spirit t tend with ans the 4g memories still burning
    I can't help myself to hope that she is done running and hiding and playing her games and at last has found herself and finally Cambria my dear you Fit in Somewhere This is not Fake
    Gobsmack this does answer the equality riddle you posted because in my heart i want her to be in paradisr ie equal

• It's already been achieved. There is equality already.

• I think the first stumbling block for this concept is in defining what is meant by "equality." If you don't define the term, how do you know when you have achieved it?

• D. Parents (both genders) who raise their daughters to settle for being treated unfairly

• I defy you to provide evidence in support of the claim that men have always been above women in every regard.

• Their biggest stumbling block is they don't know when they have a good thing and they don't know when to stop pushing men into the sht hole. The backlash shall be horrendous.

• Well men and women are equal in the only half decent countries, UK and American etc, in shit countries women aren't equal obviously mainly because of religion and culture. Look at Germany for example, women have rights and equality, I think, but the massive mass mrrgration from the Islamic culture and religion is making womem peices of meat again because from the Islamic culture women are just sex objects with no purpose but to give pleasure to males.

• Short answer: being women. Being a woman needs in any family structure she will have to stop working to have the children for a little while, meaning little to no pay during that time. Between the two of them, most likely the mom will be working less hours and therefore less pay. This is not an absolute, but there is a high chance.

• Equality is necessary, but it is the poorest women with no legal rights that need it the most ( in ghettos and poor countries). If you can report cases of rape or harassment, have a decent job with career advancement, have a lawyer, and can have a divorce you are doing fine.

• The greatest stumbling block to women achieving true equality in employment, is women themselves.

• Women will b**** about anything these days. I even had a woman posted on twitter on how she thought a guy was hitting on her simply for trying to assist her with her bags. Women are so full of themselves.

• It pains me to say that a lot of women don't realize that men and women aren't completely equal but women have privileges that men can only dream of. In my experience, they will never be truly equal. In addition, I've never met a feminist as long as I've been alive that wanted true equality. They only want a privilege where it benefits them

• I have a question: what inequalities do women still endure?

• where do you want me to begin and how long have you got?

pay, roles in high management, high roles in politics etc etc etc

• OMG u seriously believe in the pay gap and in the glass ceiling for women? 🙄

Women in the same field, same education, same amount of sweat equity, and same experience level... will make as much as men do & have the same promotional opportunities in the modern world (at least in the USA)

• Women who see inequality in every walks of life. This delusion is a barrier to their own clarity of the world and its offerings for self development. Work with the women in third world nations if they really want to make a difference.

• Wester world does really respect women. You don't have any idea how power distance in eastern cultures is. This has roots to past. There was no importance of "Queen" in eastern meanwhile UK using the term for their air fleets or ships etc. There was almost nothing about woman in eastern. I think man is even disadvantageous front of the law in the wester world.

• Women have had the means of achieving whatever they want to, they just don't want to. They're equal, if not better off, than men in terms or rights and societal backing

• I think a lack of affordable child care and flexible working arrangements are the biggest impediments.

• Equality means there's equal chances for a woman getting out of the club to be punched, not taken to an apartment and pleasured, spoiled and seduced.

Starbucks feminists don't want equality, but privilege and positive discrimination.

• These days I see more women holding other women back rather then men.

• Men snd women were are and never be equal...
    Both are made different so they should not be treated the same.

• Sociology, there is no actual change without consensus, which is why it is ignored sometimes.

• Thinking that women are in all aspects equal to men and are thus able to compete on the same level as men. Men and women are very different, and to suggest that both sexes should be treated equally outside of the law and equality of opportunity is dumb.

Women in the west already enjoy all the rights and privileges men do anyway, so what's the problem?

• There will never be equality in "all aspects" of society because even among just men, we are not all equal. The difference between men and women is even greater than that.

• Men and women aren't equal, but they have advantages and disadvantages in certain situations. So I wouldn't say one is better off

• More from Guys
    50