I was thinking why people get divorced but since the first reason of divorce is marriage then why people get married?
( that's not anti marriage question ) like what would be the reason u get married for example
Most Helpful Girl
Most people who divorce do not go into the marriage with the intention of staying together forever. They think - I will marry you but only if you are between this weight and that weight, if your health parameters meet my basic requirements, as long as your income stays in this range, as long as your family stays this distance from us, as long as your parenting involvement remains in this level, as long as your education contains up to this point etc...
They go into the marriage thinking its a conditional arrangement and they go in with the intention of leaving if things don't work out according to plan.1
Most Helpful Guy
Being married means that
- should my wife become sick, I can give medical directions on her behalf. She can do the same for me.
- if she were to die, I would inherit our family home without paying an inheritance tax (she own the home prior to marrying me)
- i have the right to receive her body and observe her burial requests
- she is elegible to be on my employers health insurance plan.
- we pay federal income taxes at a lower effective rate
- marriage gave me the authority to represent myself as the step-father of my wife's daughters She receive the same authority to represent herself as my child's step mom.
- she is elegible to be the beneficiary of my life insurance
- we may be jointly considered for credit application
- we automatically inherit each others worldly possessions without the necessity of probate court
When I way in the military, there were many benefits that only accrued to married people.
- basic allowance for housing (single men lived on board the ship)
- family separation allowance (paid while deployed)
- CHAMPUS (dependant health insurance)
- access to the ombudsman program (best source of info on ships schedule)
- access to base facilities including the exchange and the subsidized commissary
- access to base housing
- the right to be relocated to overseas duty station with military member
It goes on and on this way. Marriage is woven into everything. The main intent is not so much that you change your status toward each other but rather you change your status before the state.1