Do you think your finances should be kept separate when you are married?

I hear a lot of married couples, women mostly, bring up the fact that their husband is very uncooperative when it comes to taking up some financial responsibilities. I'm not saying that is the case all the time but that's just my experience and I know finances are a touchy issue.

• No, what's mine is theirs and vice versa
  • Yes separate. They don't need to have access to my money if I pay for my bills.

1015

Most Helpful Guy

• Sylvia Porter says married couples should have three accounts -- his, hers, and ours. Each partner needs to have money that is all their own. It's ridiculous for adults to be asking each other: "Can I get new golf clubs? Can I go visit my sister?" No need to fight over stuff like that. The joint account is used for joint expenses -- rent, utilities, vacations, entertainment, ... The contribution to the joint account doesn't have to be equal. If one partner earns more, they should contribute more. If one partner earns a lot more, then they could cover almost all the joint expenses. If only one is working, then split the discretionary income so the non-working partner does not feel like a beggar. My wife isn't working right now. I deposit money into her account and a joint account every month, and the rest into my account. We talk about the "we" stuff,, and never ask each other about the "me" stuff.

This is good for children too. Teens should get enough allowance to cover all their expenses -- clothing, toiletries, music, entertainment, etc.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • ^^ This, pretty much exactly.

Also, if either spouse is a freelancer, then she/he absolutely MUST have a separate account for business purposes. If all that money is going into a joint account -- even temporarily -- then, in the case of an audit, the IRS (= the US tax authority) would probably rule that business and personal funds had been "commingled" and would disallow basically all tax deductions involving any of that money.

Most Helpful Girl

• whats the point of marriage if everything is separate. I thought it's a union between two people. Personally, I want to share everything with my husband and him to do the same with me. We're in love not roommates.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE